Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Have an Heirloom Quilt From a Long-Gone Family Member?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started 3/23/21 by judyinohio; 3000 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/23/21

What amazing quilts and memories you have!  Gosh, how wonderful!

I don't have anything sewn passed down from either grandmother.  I have a few pieces of costume jewelry, some china and flatware from my Dad's mother.. but that is *it*.   At least my Dad's mother had 2 daughters who treasured their mother's things, which I eventually got.

Absolutely nothing from my Mom's mother.  I can only assume that my grandfather didn't value anything of his wife's because nothing was saved.

I look with astonishment at the generations of items passed down in some families.  I simply don't  have any of that.

Judy your baby quilt is a beautiful treasure!

bornblesse2

3/23/21

Judy, I do have several of my grandmothers quilts!  I will post some when I return from my 3 days away from home. 
But I will show you this gem from Great grandma Jenny!

this block was one of a handful if the cedar chest of my grandmother.  They were Jenny’s sample blocks to remember how to make blocks.  All were of reused fabrics, some had cardboard templates with them.  My dad made the farms with boards from our torn down barn.

it proudly hangs in my sewing area!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/23/21

bornblesse2 said:

My dad made the farms with boards from our torn down barn.

Ellen, have you **written** down that story and put it on the back of that framed block?  YOU remember the story but will your kids remember in 50 years?  The fact that your great grandmother (their great great grandmother) made the block and your Dad (their grandfather) made the frame from the barn that was your family's is truly priceless information!  Don't let it get lost!

Might you have a picture of Great Granma Jenny?  and a picture of the barn before it was torn down?  Include them in that journaling on the back of the framed piece!

bornblesse2

3/23/21

Judy, I did some looking in my Barbara Blackman book.  I could find you first quilt, but I did find a straight edge fan block with 3 wedges in each quarter.  The block is called Baby Aster.  
your quilt is a variation of it! 

bornblesse2

3/23/21

Shelley, Jenny was in the first photo that I showed.  It’s the only one of her that I have.  I done remember if the history is on the back or not....it hasn’t been off the wall in a long time!

it is hand stitched though.  

judyinohio

3/23/21

I'm confused by your posting, Ellen. 

What block is called Baby Aster?  Is that the name for my baby quilt in pale yellows and blues?

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

3/23/21

There are 9 flowers and tan background fabric, but it is very thin, I would not use it. I will likely make a wall hanging eventually.

latterberry

3/24/21

Wow! what an amazing quilt ! I  have no clue what the pattern would be, but it wouldn't be too bad to replicate.  A quarter of a grandmother's fan set in the corners. It is quite stunning and thank you for sharing it.  I don't know of anyone in my family quilting until my mom and my aunt.  

latterberry

3/24/21

Judy, your vintage quilts are awesome!  What treasures.  I really don't think my maternal grandmother quilted but she must have sewn clothing because I have the base to her treadle.  My mom remembers pitching the actual sewing machine, but at least I have the base which I put one of my Singer 15s in.  My grandma was about 70 when I was born so all I remember of her was an old lady that complained a lot.