Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do You Have an Heirloom Quilt From a Long-Gone Family Member?   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Mar-23 by judyinohio; 2791 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Mar-25

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

your girls will have all kinds of quilts to remember you by and you wonderful blog with all the documentation.

yeah ... that blog.   It is woefully in need of massive updates.  I was caught up in the case of the "meh ... I'm not enthused", which of course, has dragged on.  While I *have* been keeping track of the few things I've been working on in specific directories on my computer, I sure haven't made any web pages or blog posts.   Another project I need to return to.

In a shining example of "use it or lose it", when I was actively working on projects and clearing out my UFO boxes, I had a process: pictures of work in progress & final status, notes for documentation, post on this forum, post on FB, create a webpage, make a blog post.  For those of you who don't do any web work, there is a LOT of behind the scenes goings-on to get the information & photos ready to go live.  Fortunately, I had done a lot of prep work to make the process as streamlined as I could, so that I didn't have to *think* about it, such as making templates for page formats.   All of that is kind of automatic when you're doing the process on a regular basis, but I haven't done ANY of that since 2015.  The specific knowledge of what do use is a little dim.

Once upon a time, I was engaged in trying to sell my Daisy Kingdom patterns (adorable, fancy children's clothing).  I made a stand along web page for the pattern covers.  I recently checked that the webpage is still there ... check.   But, if I wanted to update the page .....how do I *do* that.  I actually had to THINK (the horrors!) back on what programs I used and the process I went through to make that page and get the content uploaded.   I was experiencing mild panic when I came up blank but in looking at the icons on my desktop, the memory finally came back.  Whew .... that was concerning!  So, now  have sticky notes to myself on what program I used to upload content and what program I used to update the web page.

But now that I have remembered all of that, I'm slowly dragging myself to the point where I'll start updating the web site and blog again.  Some time.  LOL!

The thing is that quilt is still bright and vibrant and I might finish it by tying it because it is so thick. I think it is a very cool quilt.

I like these colors. Very pretty, Judy! Very indicative of the time. 

tuckyquilter

Mar-25

That family photo is wonderful, and all are attractive to boot.  And the quilt is beautiful.  It will be fun to know the name of the pattern.

tuckyquilter

Mar-25

I wear an apron similar to that every day too..  OH MY   have I now reached the "grandma" stage of life??  LOL

tuckyquilter

Mar-25

I love the borders.  Nice quilt.. lucky you

tuckyquilter

Mar-25

Here is a photo of three of the most important women in my life.  Left to right Great Aunt Anna, my Grandma, and Great Aunt Marie.. they are in order of age - oldest to youngest. They taught me how to sew, quilt, can food, make great and just about everything good that I know. The bottom photo is of my grandma's siblings and a sister in law to the far right.  Great Grandpa Abraham is in the door.  My grandma lived in this house as long as I could remember.  Then there's me, wearing the red w/white polkadot top.  Next to me is my beloved grandma, holding my brand new son Scott is my mother.  He was about 5 days old at this time.

I don't have one single quilt made by any member of my family.  I had a bunch of tops sent to me after grandma died, but they were so old they literally shredded when unfolded.  However, when I am back in my hometown, I will see if my cousin has any family quilts and if so, I'll take photos of them for my own benefit.  I don't need more quilts.  

latterberry

Mar-26

That poor ragged quilt must have been a beauty when it was new. Thanks for showing it to us.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Mar-26

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

*I* was very pleased to be able to send those photos back home.

I love that you took the time to do this.

bornblesse2

Mar-26

JDO, I have to laugh at your couple of pictures!  They look so very much like a couple of pictures from my growing up years if you just change the faces or even just tweak them a bit!

I swear that hutch is my mothers!  And the wallpaper and couch look like ours too!  Isn’t it funny!  When I get home I will have to find my pictures!