Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

almost a milestone - 142 novelty quilts   General Discussion

Started Apr-11 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1005 views.

I also like to compile and print stuff to a PDF.  But I am now saving much of my stuff like photos on external storage devices.  I have bought several smaller-capacity ones over the years, but I now have a larger-capacity external desktop model that holds 5 TERAbytes - yikes!  And a flash drive that holds a huge amount too.  My computer automatically backs up once a week and saves any new or changed files.  If my desktop computer crashes, I have everything backed up on external drives.  But I still need a better way to store all of the photos on my phone, because I need to get a new phone soon.

I don't have a laptop computer right now -- too spoiled to this huge display screen, and my eyes are getting so bad, I don't think I could use a laptop effectively.  (I have dr. appt. soon to get my vision straightened out - need cataract surgery, etc.)

I am going to TRY one of those services who scan and save your old photos and videos from the days before computers - just to see if it is as good a service as the advertisements say.  I will try it one time just to see, and if it works, I will be able to get rid of a lot of that stuff that I have in boxes.  And then I would give all the boxes of old photos and VHS tapes to the younger generation if they want them.    

one summer I gave scanning photos to Marion as a project.  She did scan them but her file names leave something to be desired (things like "people I don't know", "Mom with someone I don't know", etc).  smile.  I think she was 13 or 14 at the time.  So I have them scanned but have to go through them and do some major clean up.

judyinohio

Apr-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I have them scabbed but have

Okay, Dee, you have to translate that "scabbed" for me .....

hmmm, scanned.  will edit.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-12

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

I am going to TRY one of those services who scan and save your old photos and videos from the days before computers - just to see if it is as good a service as the advertisements say.

We did this with 8mm film to DVD video, as we didn't have the capability to do so.  We were happy with the service, although it does tend to get pricey.

I have too many photos to scan to justify sending them all out to a service.  I don't want cull them to see which are "worthy" of being commercially scanned.  Instead, I bought a wide flatbed scanner (single purpose device) to scan my photos ( up to 12"x17") and paper scrapbook pages.  

As I create my heritage pages, I scan the photos before they go on the page.  When the page is finished, I scan the page.  The photo scans are "back-ups" and for any family member who wants their own copy.  The page scans get uploaded to a site (still looking for a "good" one) so that family members can flip through the pages to see what I've done and learn about their own genealogy.

The wide flatbed that I bought is a Mustek A3 1200S.  It's a weird brand but works fantastically.  Since I bought it a number of years ago, I suspect there are newer and better ones now available.

I suggest you consider the value of buying your own scanner & time to scan your own photos (heck, while watching movies!) vs sending your photos to be commercially scanned.  There are pros & cons to each.  It depends on what's important to you.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

She did scan them but her file names leave something to be desired (things like "people I don't know"

Ah yes. Naming files.  Especially photos.

My naming convention has been  "YYYY-MM-DD description" so that they will sort chronologically in a directory.  It also helps when you can kinda/sorta remember when a picture might have been taken.  

judyinohio

Apr-12

If I had looked at my keyboard I would have figured that out but it still needed an editing job. Thanks.

I do have a brand new wide-bed scanner, but I have boxes and boxes of "loose" Instamatic prints and a few Polaroids that I don't want to deal with the scanning part.  I bought the large frame scanner especially to scan pages of old photo scrapbooks and some larger photo prints.  

There are also several VHS tapes that I would like to have converted to digital videos (MP4, I think, is the standard format most of those companies use).  

BTW, my large flatbed scanner is an EPSON WF-7820.  I didn't have ANY printer before, so glad I finally got it for that too.  So far, so good, but haven't had it for very long.  

latterberry

Apr-13

I remember when Webshots went out of business.  I had a ton of photos on there too, My son helped me get them moved because I was such a technology challenged person and couldn't figure it out.  Now I use googlephotos so they are all out in some cloud somewhere.  I am so sorry you lost so many pictures--just heart breaking.