Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

EPP designs   General Discussion

Started Apr-16 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 472 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-16

Kathi, have you seen (or are aware of) this book, "Quilt Potpourri" by Maretha Fourie?  Here are some snapshots of what's inside (the author is sharing these pictures, so I am assuming that it's OK to share them .. help her to publicize!)   I gotta say that when I first saw her post about her book, I immediately thought of you and your Tula Pink fussy cutting.

The author says about her book, "My book, Quilt Potpourri, is as far as I know the first book that explores the secrets and potential of the equilateral triangle that can be as popular as the square. Quilt Potpourri enables the quilter to create a great variety of original and contemporary patterns including the ever popular hexagon.

The book represents the joint information I gathered during festivals locally and overseas, demonstrations, workshops and gatherings. A great inspiration also was the published books, magazines and computer for reference purposes."

No photo description available.

LOOK AT THIS!!!

AND THIS!!!

Holy moley .... you could spend a lifetime creating amazing designs!   Her website is www.marethafourie.com  where you can find out more information about it.

keddykat75

Apr-16

I hadn’t seen it before. That is awesome. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-16

keddykat75 said:

That is awesome. 

I think so too!   

She's in South Africa and the book is available as an ebook only .. fortunately, it's available in English.  I was initially put off by the price R249 (249  Rand, the South African monetary unit) until I looked what the exchange rate was.  In US dollars, it's under $18!   :-)

The sheer number of SHAPES she has graphed out is phenomenal.

keddykat75

Apr-16

Thanks for pointing it out to me. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-16

sure thing.  Always happy to be an enabler. :-)

judyinohio

Apr-16

Hate to say this but it looks like the doodling I used to do in high school back in the 1950s.

Our landlord (an engineer at Kodak) gave me some special graph paper and I went to town with my colored pencils ....

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-16

judyinohio said:

Hate to say this but it looks like the doodling I used to do in high school back in the 1950s.

In fact, that is exactly what she has said to do.  Get some ..umm... iso-something grid paper so you have the proper scale and simply start doodling, sketching, drawing, playing around.   The thing is MOST people simply won't do that step.  They like the designs; they'll take the finished designs and sew them ... but they won't MAKE the designs, for whatever reasons .. and there different reasons why not for different people.

If "you" (the general "you") already do this doodling, then you're one step ahead of everyone else and you can proceed with the stitching.  But if "you" are inhibited (for whatever reason) from making the designs, this shortcut that roadblock and provides you with them!

The author is very clear that she is not providing any projects.  She is simply talking about the stepping stones.

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

Apr-21

Did you end up ordering the book?  Even though I put in my USA address, it tried to change my account with 249 US dollars.  How did you get around that?  I sent her an email but haven't gotten an answer back yet.  TIA

tuckyquilter

Apr-21

Pretty amazing blocks.  I immediately thought how easy it would be to construct them on EQ8.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-21

No, I haven't ordered the book.   I hadn't really intended on doing so.  I mainly wanted to point it out to Kathi and other interested quilters.

Maybe you could contact whoever is on the website and explain your problem?