Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Got thread?   General Discussion

Started Apr-20 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 191 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-20

Not the good stuff .. this is vintage, OLD, poly or cotton thread.  Some of it is from the 1940s and I wouldn't trust it to piece.

BUT .... do you need to temporary basting?  Basting that's going to be eventually removed?  This is part and parcel of of my needleturn applique technique.   Or basting that is needed to hold stuff together but will remain in the project?  I do this with my EPP piecing (I don't use glue).

There's no way I'm gonna use $12/spool Aurifil thread for those applications.  What I *do* have is quite a number of old spools of thread that I inherited from various women in the family.   This thread is perfectly fine for basting and I have come to the conclusion that I have more spools of old thread than I will ever use.

Therefore .... if any of you would like a handful of old thread for using however you like, let me know and I'll mail you a small bunch.  I just don't need to have all these spools of thread hanging around.  If you were at the Retreat, I have your snailmail.  If not, I'll need an address to mail them to.

Yeah, I have a similar stash of old thread that I use for basting only.  So, I really don't need any basting thread.  But if you want to part with any that is on wooden spools, I would like to have it.  Hmmm, haven't we had this conversation before?    

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-20

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

.... on wooden spools, I would like to have it.  Hmmm, haven't we had this conversation before?    

I believe we have. :-)   I'm saving those wooden spools for you but it takes a while to use the thread. :-)

So, the thread that is on wooden spools is NOT the basting thread you are talking about?  But I am certainly not in any hurry.  Thanks.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-20

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

So, the thread that is on wooden spools is NOT the basting thread you are talking about?  But I am certainly not in any hurry.  Thanks.

Sorry for any confusion.  The basting thread I'm using *IS* on wooden spools .. as well as plastic ones.  When I use the thread up that is on a wooden spool, I put it in a jar that that has your name on it.  Kinda like a swear jar but nicer.   LOL!

As you can surmise, it's going to be some time before I have a bunch to send to you.   I'm happy that you're a patient soul.  :-)

bornblesse2

Apr-20

I have spools of that also if anybody needs some!

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.  And just thanks.