Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Freezer dishes   Off-Topic Chat

Started Apr-25 by bornblesse2; 900 views.
bornblesse2

Apr-25

So,  I am planning a trip home to help my parents in May.  Cooking is an issue for them, so I am trying to collect recipes that I can take with me to make and freeze for them to simply bake, or heat in the microwave.

Dad needs simple to chew things, and isn’t wild about tomato sauces.  I got meatloaf, going to try twice baked potatoes, and have been reading about freezing pasta.

anyone got things that work really well ?  Just wondering.

LABFIEND

Apr-25

I make and freeze chicken and noodles (homemade noodles), and hubby makes tuna casserole (tuna, noodles, cream of mushroom soup and some milk) and freezes that also.

Ham and beans freeze well, beef stew, taco soup, these are things I make batches of and freeze.

I have a couple, I will email you.

bornblesse2

Apr-25

Lol, dad doesn’t like fish, so the tuna is out.  The spices in taco don’t agree.  Lol.......at 92 dad prefers really basic foods.  Lots of limits.

but glad to know pasta will freeze.

bornblesse2

Apr-25

Thanks Dee!

does anyone have a good pot pie recipe?  And can I freeze it?

Dad ate it last week when out with my brother and enjoyed it.  Not something I usually make.

Midkid5

Apr-25

Make sure you label and date the dishes you put in their freezer well.  We have issues because my sister will put a dish in mom's freezer unmarked just telling mom what it is. Mom won't remember thinks it been there to long and throw it out.

Jo

bornblesse2

Apr-25

Oh, I will be labeling everything carefully.  My mothers memory is getting quite bad.  If I don’t put cooking directions on each bag, she wouldn’t know what to do with it.  And Dad isn’t used to doing much cooking.

I am going prepared with my markers and baggies and maybe ever some typed up labels easy to go on.

I do and you can. Will send also 

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-25

ham and potato bake topped with cheese

stew

pot roast and potatoes

chicken and broccoli topped with cheese

enchiladas (spicy or not...) 

shepherds pie 

pot pies or hand pies (empanadas)

burritos - potato & cheese w/ green sauce, chicken, beef, pork

crab cakes

soups...lentil is nice, chicken/beef with rice, chicken/beef noodle

sausage and spinach turnovers

quiche - ham or bacon with spinach and cheese

do they like lamb? lamb stew or lamb in the shepherds pie would be tasty..

LABFIEND

Apr-25

Midkid5 said:

We have issues because my sister will put a dish in mom's freezer unmarked just telling mom what it is.

Shoot, If I don't mark them I forget what they are-LOL-hard to tell spaghetti sauce from chili from taco soup!