Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Machine Binding-tips needed   General Discussion

Started Apr-26 by Cathy (cacnurse1); 1165 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-26

With my shoulder giving me problems, it takes me a long time to sew down binding by hand.  So I'm trying to get better at machine binding.  I just did 4 small quilts by sewing the binding to the back, wrapping it around to the front, gluing it down and then sewing with a machine stitch.  It got easier as I went along but I have noticed that the edges of these 4 quilts are a little wavy.  I must be stretching the edges either when I glue then down or when I'm sewing it down.  I welcome any tips to avoid this or to make the process simpler. 

First, are you using your walking foot?  I would recommend trying that next.  And you might need to back off the pressure on your presser foot bar just a *tiny* amount.  Anyway, those are the first 2 things I would try.  

most likely you are stretching when you attach, I "rough pin" using the little clips to keep me from stretching.  I don't like using a walking foot as I don't feel I can see as well, but I do put my presser foot on the lightest tension.  I've also stopped gluing to the front and just pull it around now - I decided I didn't need that extra step.    I also use a seam guide placed at the right distance to wrap around, keeps me honest and even - I have a tendency to wobble.

bornblesse2

Apr-26

I agree Dee, I really like using the clips.  They hold well, easily adjust when needed, and sometimes I just clip half of a side at a time.

it takes several tries to get comfortable doing binding this way.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-26

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

First, are you using your walking foot?

Definitely am using my walking foot.  Not sure I know how to reduce the pressure on my walking foot.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-26

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I've also stopped gluing to the front

It would sure save time if I didn't glue it down to the front.  I'm wondering if I am pulling the edge of the quilt and binding as I'm sewing it???  I'll try not using the walking foot.  I'm sure I will have lots of quilts to practice on as I keep finishing UFOs.  I think there is a seam guide with my walking foot box.  That might also help as I seem to be unable to sew a straight line.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-26

bornblesse2 said:

it takes several tries to get comfortable doing binding this way.

I knew it would take practice and having 4 small quilts at once seemed like a good opportunity.relaxed

Not sure what kind of machine you have, but it's usually the little screw right on top of the head of your machine.  Sometimes when you are sewing several layers, you need to loosen it just slightly.  

Midkid5

Apr-26

I had the same issues when I started machine binding. Quit glueing and that helped, before I stopped altogether I would just glue the corners. I use my open toe foot, so I can see since I like to sew right next to the edge of the binding.

Jo

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-29

I won't glue the next one and will change to the open toe foot.  We will see if that works.