Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Machine Binding-tips needed   General Discussion

Started Apr-26 by Cathy (cacnurse1); 1383 views.
MelRN

May-25

I do it backwards. I sew to the front, fold over and clip, and sew along the ditch beside the binding. It looks slick, and isn't too hard.

In reply toRe: msg 15
MelRN

May-25

Oh, and I use a "stitch in the ditch" foot...there's another name too, but I don't remember.

In reply toRe: msg 15
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-2

I've tried that but sometimes fail to catch the binding.

MelRN

Jun-2

Occasionally I fail to catch a bit of it, but after experimenting with sizes, I found 2.25" works on most quilts. I go around it, then check to see if anything has been missed and fix those. LOL!!! (My lazy butt!)

In reply toRe: msg 18

I used to do it that way, stitch on the front & pull to the back, then stitch in the ditch.  But I tried doing the reverse a while back and like it better, stitch to the back, pull to the front and stitch on the front, The front always looks great, sometimes the line on the back wobbles a bit but I've decided most won't care what the back looks like.  And generally it is a nice straight line running parallel near the seam on the back.  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-2

What you said.

This is *precisely* my thought process also.  GTMA.  :-)    (and of course, that SHOULD have originally been typed as GMTA.   oops.  :-)  )

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-2

Great Minds Think Alike.     texting shortcut.  :-)   Except I typo'd it.  LOL!  oops.

judyinohio

Jun-2

Cute. You are great minds and you do think alike.

However, I don't text with anyone, thus remain ignorant of shortcuts in 21st century acronyms, even if spelled correctly.

I'm straining my brain to use the goofy emoticons supplied by delphiforums. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

MelRN

Jun-2

I did that, but with a decorative stitch, for a while. It didn't look as crisp (FOR ME) when I did it that way, so when it looked good this way, I just kept it up. But I know I've seen many by you all that look good. Love that there are always alternatives in quilting, and we can learn from each other :)