Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

new to me applique artist - Esther Aliu   General Discussion

Started Apr-29 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 612 views.

she has a blog where she does BOM's, training videos, and lots of patterns (also a BOM FB group.  Many on the FB applique group are using her patterns and I may have to join the gang.  amazing pictures.  Here is one example:

One of her early blogs says she wanted to do applique patterns that weren't Baltimore style.  I really like how she combines piecing & applique.

edited to add link to her blog - if nothing else lots of eye candy.

https://www.estheraliu.com/

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-29

Yup, she definitely has some interesting stuff.  I've done one SIMPLE pattern of hers, my Stashbusting Stars, which despite it's name, didn't diminish my stash of scraps or yardage at all.  :-)

Here's her blog post about it: http://www.esthersquiltblog.com/p/stash-busting-stars.html 

Caveat: *her* version does not contain the vines & leaves that I have on mine.  I got the idea of those appliques from a quilting calendar.

Another great applique designer is Edyta Sitar.  She sells her patterns, etc through Laundry Basket Quilts.    Look at this amazing beauty: 
Aloha

I've used part of one of her patterns, Reaching Out, as the vines & leaves design for my own.

Her is her Reaching Out: 

and here is the central part of   my version.  When I got to this stage, I remember thinking that the borders I put on were overpowering the central design.  I'm not sure, at this point, if I cut the borders down or if I thought about putting some other design element in the wide borders.

but, you can definitely see where I took her serpentine vine pattern!  :-)

Nice, I like the serpentine vine on that.

I have to admit, I was a little taken aback for a PDF pattern download to be $90.  I think my break off point for patterns is somewhere around $45.  But the one I like the best is Hold on to your heart at $89.95.  Hmmm, maybe I'll start with a smaller one and see how I like her instructions.  Not that there isn't a lot of work there, and it's fair to be compensated.  I'm just cheap blush

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-29

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I was a little taken aback for a PDF pattern download to be $90

Wait  What???   On Edyta Sitar's site?   I didn't see any PDF pattern over $20.   That $90 one wasn't a kit????

Wait, part 2 .... I now see you were talking about Ester Aliu's patterns.  Holy smokes.... it's not a kit.  $90 for a download pattern.  Wowsers.   Sure there's a lot of pieces in the pattern and I will grant that it took her a lot of time to work it out ... but $90?    Like you, I'm .... er ... frugal.  :-)

bornblesse2

Apr-30

I need to go back to my stash busting stars!  They were great when I was traveling.  But haven’t done much of that...

but, I going to getaway in May for  a week to see my aging parents.  My dad is weakening.  I should prep some to take along.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-30

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Ellen.   It's always sad when stuff like this happens.

For your trip, at the very least, pack enough fabric to cut the templates from.  Assemble all the fabric for one star in a ziploc, so it's like a kit.

Sissley4

Apr-30

Dude that is really pretty are you going to make that quilt?

Sissley4

Apr-30

Dee it is supposed to say dee and not dude I'm sorry this phone sometimes does not listen to me

lppenguins

May-28

Omgosh I aspire to do one of these. So beautiful!

im going to get out some of my favorite patterns I’ve purchased over the years and pick one! I’ll be hanging out at home a lot in the next year. I’ve got to have a goal!