Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

On the horns of a dilemma   General Discussion

Started Apr-30 by sueinIL; 478 views.
sueinIL

Apr-30

I'm starting a quilt that takes just 8 FQs of fabric. But in my case, I'm using a Kaffe Fasset 6" bundle of 20 strips, all WOF and all beautiful deep colors and big leaves,flowers, etc.  You know what he's known for.

For the quilt I need only 32 blocks (4 from each of the 8 FQs.).  With the bundle of 6" Kaffes, I could easily get 80 blocks and use all 20 strips.  What would you do?  Make only 2 blocks from each of the 20 strips and get more color?  Or choose 8 strips to cut into the 4 pieced blocks. and then have just 8 of his wild colors  in the quilt?  I hope this is clear.  I think I'm leaning toward using all 20 of the 6" strips because I love his colors.  That would give me 40 blocks and maybe I could use the extra blocks to widen or lengthen the quilt.  BTW:  The quilt is called "Good Vibrations" by Michelle Engle Bencsko, and I got the pattern from Quilty.

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Apr-30

I would go with using all the Kaffe fabrics I possibly could!! So i'm with you on that. make loads of blocks.

I agree.  The more Kaffe fabrics, the better.  

judyinohio

Apr-30

Is this the pattern you are asking about?  If it is this pattern then the more fabrics, the merrier. 

sueinIL

Apr-30

Yep, that's it!  It's pretty uncomplicated, but the deep pinks, orange, purple, greens really drive the show.

I must have bought the bundle back when Kaffe's stuff was cheaper.  Now all of his pre-cuts are crazy expensive.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Apr-30

JDO that's what I thought too!  I don't get to work with this wondrous fabric very often. I should take advantage of having it!

Sue in IL

I just visited my local quilt shop yesterday - for the first time in a year!  I was looking for something specific, so I didn't even START looking at all the Kaffe fabrics they had.  I knew I would get distracted.  Ha!  

sueinIL

Apr-30

At the same time I like those big, bold prints, I also like the small Civil War repro fabrics.  I guess it's good to like a wide variety of  fabric designs, but also that leads me into several sections of the quilt shops! And it also leads to having several projects going on at once.  Oh well, I guess there are worse attractions.

Sue in IL

latterberry

May-1

I'm glad Judy found and shared the picture of the quilt you will be doing.  That will be really pretty and I agree -- the more colors the better.  Will your background be white?

MelRN

May-1

Personally, I'd make a few from each fabric so there was more variety in the quilt. The leftover fabric can make another quilt (or two) later. They just sparkle together :D