Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

it's magic - secondary patterns   General Discussion

Started May-6 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 101 views.

One of the things that I love most about quilting is the secondary patterns that frequently result when putting together simple blocks.  I think that's why I love Kim Brackett's books so much, so many of the blocks are ridiculously simple but result in wonderful secondary patterns.  I also like that her name is so close to my maiden name (Beckett).  Any way, while I'm waiting for my book to arrive (Strips & Squares), I was browsing through the online pages and decided to draft a couple in EQ.  Such simple blocks, but look at the magic that happens when you put them together!

The block.  Very simple.  I'll be able to use some of those waste triangles left from previous projects for the little white corners.  

The magic.  This one will take some effort to keep the colors in the right places, I'm still figuring out how to get organized.  Pattern is Windmills.  Cutting is very fast (2.5 x 4.5 plus 1.5" squares), but putting this one together is going to take some thought.  

And another block

The magic - this one is scrappy, the colors can go where ever.  It kind of reminds me of little twists or woven candies.  It took me a bit to figure out the blocks on this one, but when I saw how she had done it, I laughed at how simple the block is.  I don't know the name until I get the book.  

Just realized this would make a good blog post smiley

viola (sissly4)

May-6

I like the last picture where you can use any color.