Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quilters in "Eastern" countries   General Discussion

Started May-9 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 287 views.

I've been watching a lot of quilting and sewing videos by individuals (mostly women, but one or two men) from Russia and some Asian countries.  And there are a LOT of them making YouTube videos!  They seem to do a lot of things WAY differently than we do in the "West" (and in this category, I am including the UK, Canada and Australia, and most of Europe).  Here are a few of my observations:

• They do not seem to use as much 100% quilting cotton yardage as we do.  Instead, they recycle lots of textiles, including all kinds of clothing, bedding, curtains, tablecloths, T-shirts, etc.  They use any and all kinds of fabrics together.  They do seem to have some scraps of cotton and other fabrics, which they incorporate into their work.  I watched one video of a woman in Russia who had purchased a huge bundle of bolt-ends, off-cuts and scraps - that thing was as big as half a bale of hay! - and the video was of her opening it and showing everything that was in the bundle.  But the main thing is, they seem to use more recycled fabric than purchased yardage, and they combine fabrics that many of us would not ever consider combining - but it all works for their projects.  They may not be as structured as "Western" quilts, but they work.  They make a lot of other stuff like pillows, bags, rugs, etc. in addition to quilts.
  • They do not seem to use any purchased patterns.  Mostly I have seen them using cardboard templates, or just free-styling.
  • Most of them do not use rotary cutters very much.  Instead, they use HUGE dressmaking shears.  They usually have just the one LONG pair of shears to cut everything, and they look like very good ones - but I never can see the brand name.  They do not have multiple pairs of scissors of different sizes for different purposes - just the one pair of HUGE dressmaking shears.  I have seen them using dressmaking shears to do everything from cutting long pieces of yardage, to very detailed trimming of seam allowances and tiny applique pieces.  And they use them to cut several layers of mixed fabric at a time.  They seem to be amazingly accurate.  They also do not seem to be as perfectionist as "Western" quilters.   
  • The same goes with rulers.  I rarely see them use a real "quilting" ruler.  Usually it's just something like a plastic school ruler - or they do like to use tape measures and tailor's chalk.  Some use regular #2 pencils to trace around the cardboard templates.  Others use tailor's chalk.  They just don't have a lot of different quilting notions.  Most of them don't even have cutting mats, but that makes sense, as they don't usually use rotary cutters.  They DO seem to have modern irons, some have wool pressing mats, and newer sewing machines, like Bernina, Janome, Pfaff, Viking, etc.   But only minimal other tools and notions - at least that's what it looks like to me.  It's ridiculous the amount of quilting "stuff" we have, compared to what they seem to make do with.  I'm sure some of the items available to purchase there cost many times what we pay for them here.  We are very spoiled.  
  • They talk a LOT, and of course, not understanding Russian, I have no idea what they are saying, but they do go on and on and on.  I sometimes mute the sound and speed up the video.  Most of the projects they do are very easy to follow just from the videos.  

Get a load of these big honkin' shears!

CC (ccase5)

May-9

I watch this U.S. show and she used huge tailor or dressmakers scissors yesterday. https://itsseweasytv.com/
videos are done these days without languages, only visual instructions. Most are very understandable, thank goodness. Fun to watch and we all learn things on quilting, one way or another. Big world out there.
Suze (casuzenn)

May-9

The Egyptian Tentmakers use huge shears too...they only typically get ONE pair in their lifetime and they get used to how the shears 'feel'...they are carefully sharpened and typically are in the stitcher's lap when not in use... watching them cut out applique pieces freehand is amazing...

People in other countries do not have access to the things we have here, and if they do likely those things are very expensive. They use what they have and that would e plain the use of different fabrics. Really shows that we could do with so much less.

tuckyquilter

May-10

I have a very old pair of Dressmaker Shears.  I don't even remember how, or when I got them, but I know I didn't buy them.  They have a very small circle with BBB in the middle near the hand grips, but no other markings.  I've never had them sharpened, but they are very sharp, right down to the tip.

you could really hurt someone with those!

Suze (casuzenn)

May-10

I have my Granny's dressmaker shears...and yes.. they are wicked sharp!

I have a pair of those big honking scissors and want to get them sharpened. DBIL has stuff to do that. He has quite a few of super-sized scissors and they are sharp.