Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

for Kathi Shunn   General Discussion

Started May-13 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 345 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-13

Kathi .... take a look at this!

It recently came across my FB feed and I immediately thought of you.  The description for the photo is:

Kristina  McCaughtry finished this beauty in the studio in 8.5 hours! All the hexies are ditched to stabilize the blocks. Using @quiltersdream wool batting.

One person asked, "Curious about the stitching in the ditch...straight stitch? With seams essentially pressed open, is this just stitching over the top of the piecing stitches?"

Kristina (the piecer and quilter) answered, "This is English paper pieced, the seams were 3/8 and whipped stitched by hand. The seams are not the same as machine seamed ones. I think the quilting helps stabilize the heavier material content."

I noticed that Kristina did NOT actually answer the question .... did she do a straight stitch right on top of the EPP seam??    That's a legitimate question.  I'm not sure if Kristina realized that her reply was not an answer.     Currently, I'm doing an EPP top.  I'm stitching in the ditch around each hexie (they're large, so it's not as insane as it sounds) to define it and stabilize the area.  But with EPP, there IS NO "ditch" to stitch in!  I'm simply straight stitching on whichever side seems to be the most inconspicuous.  Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to straight stitch right **on top** of the EPP seam line.

Any one have an opinion on that subject?

bornblesse2

May-14

Hummmm.......haven’t thought about that.  I wonder what EPPers do?

Suze (casuzenn)

May-14

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to straight stitch right **on top** of the EPP seam line.

I would not think this would be a good idea either... 1/8 or 1/4 inch over...yeah...but not right on top of the seam.

'Course, I could be wrong...but it just seems like it would be a weaker set of quilting lines..

Maybe if you did a VERY simple decorative stitch, like a long serpentine stitch, that would just cross over the seam, and catch it a little on each side.  I would like to try that on a small sample.