Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cute little Amish quilting lady   General Discussion

Started May-27 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 351 views.

I found this recent short little video on YouTube, about this little old lady who does hand quilting.  Her husband and son are helping her advance the quilt in the frame so she can continue quilting.  I found this video interesting.  If they are Amish, they must be "reformed" Amish, because they obviously use electricity and modern appliances.  But anyway, they look like very sweet people, and there is a beautiful quilt to see (which was pieced by someone else).  They apparently have a company that builds log homes, and it looks like they are located somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.  More nice videos on YouTube under the name "Amish Meadows."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De-t4kUA-4g 

judyinohio

May-27

Here in Ohio we find Amish people using solar power for all of their electrical appliances and tools.

The point that is important is that they are "off the grid"; they are not hooked up to utility companies but totally independent. They have furniture companies that have power saws, drills, etc. using electricity run by solar panels on their workshops.

viola (sissly4)

May-27

I amish in IL do the same thing use solarpower.

MelRN

May-28

I'm surprised they'd let themselves be filmed...if photos aren't ok, then why are videocameras? 

In reply toRe: msg 4
judyinohio

May-28

They were "promoting" the business of selling her quilts at the upcoming auction.

In reply toRe: msg 5

Here's a YouTube video of the auction where the quilt was auctioned off, earning $3,500.  I would love to go to that auction.  The video shows more quilts tp be auctioned, and many other hand-crafted items.  But the best is the gospel flashmob!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcutQGtJq84 

NanaSuz

May-30

Oh how beautiful!! What a blessing she is to her family and community.

We have  Amish and Old Order German Baptist in Ohio and their quilts and woodworking are treasures.

Thank you for the video link.

NanaSuz