Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

fun block from antique   General Discussion

Started Jun-4 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 343 views.

a lady posted this on the Texas quilters group asking how to piece.  As I was thinking about it, decided it really was a pretty interesting block.  You could make oversized HST then cut to make two of the outside units, then strip piece the inside triangles.  Matching the points on the inner triangle could be tricky but otherwise a pretty easy block with lots of secondary patterns.

Yup the outside triangles are made of two quarter triangles and then you could strip piece the inner one and cut the triangles from the strips.

I drew it up in EQ and actually it's not as interesting as I thought.  confused  You could do it easily with a bullseye block and a pinwheel put on point.  Unless you just really hate on point stuff.  Might be more interesting if it was done in multiple colors.

MelRN

Jun-5

Is it the *making* it on point with triangles, or the appearance of on point stuff? I actually prefer on point, as it often makes things look more interesting... I'm super glad tho that the math is done for you online, as I never would be able to figure out what size squares to cut to make the on point triangles...

Gotta love EQ. I never upgraded past EQ5 and keep thinking I need to get the latest version as it is so useful for designing.

In reply toRe: msg 4
judyinohio

Jun-5

Mel, I'm too lazy to search for that information online.

I flip to a chart on page 21 of a handy-dandy spiral-bound little book that is on a shelf above my computer, a book with the title All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool.  Listed authors are Harriet Hargrave, Sharyn Craig, Alex Anderson and Liz Aneloski.

I have the 2004 edition and it has lasted flawlessly. I see a few people have complained about the 2014 edition's cover on Amazon. I bought the 2014 copy for my Other Daughter but I expect to be dead and gone by the time she wears the book cover out.  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/All-One-Quilters-Reference-Tool/dp/1607058529/####?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=28&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=4&dchild=1&qid=1622912198&refinements=p_28%3AAll-in-One+Quilter%27s+Reference+Tool&s=books&sr=1-1&unfiltered=1

In reply toRe: msg 4

I like how on point often looks but it is a bit more complicated to put the blocks together with the setting triangles, does require more thought than a straight setting.

MelRN

Jun-5

Thanks for sharing, Judy!

I have a couple of those type of books that were gifted to me. Sometimes, I just can't put my hands on them :D 

MelRN

Jun-5

Yeah, a bit more work, but I'll do it...LOL!!! Everyone's got their own style :D