Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Christmas quilt started - prepared edge   General Discussion

Started Jun-7 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 227 views.

the pattern is called Out my windows by Janet Hoefler (local artist - literally, she lives in  my neighborhood).  I used a method of prepared edge where you use freezer paper, but instead of reversing the pattern, you stick the shiny side to the front of the fabric to cut it out, then remove and put on the back, shiny side up. Then you turn the seam allowance over and stick it to the freezer paper along with starch.  You need to be careful to not touch your iron to the freezer paper but that was manageable.  The freezer paper helps hold the seam allowance down as well as the starch. 

One advantage of this method is if you are careful when you cut out the template, you can use the background as a window to fussy cut - that was pretty cool.  You position the "window" over the fabric and when it's where you like, iron it down.

Position the template in the window, shiny side down & iron.

remove the window & cut out the shape, leaving your seam allowance.

Here is the back with the edges ironed down.  You can also add some additional starch to the very edge from the front of the piece too at this point.

another trick I like is using a stiletto to loosen the starched edges.  This way you don't get as much raveling vs just pulling the paper off.  You press down on the paper UNDER the fabric and it pulls away easily.

one more cool thing recently discovered is a water brush, it has a reservoir that you fill with starch, then just squeeze a bit out as you use it.  Art section at Walmart or Hobby Lobby.  I like it because you can control how much starch you are using better. And it doesn't spill.  Though I've come close to melting it a few times, sitting it too close to where I was ironing.

The window trick was very helpful on several of these blocks.  I liked being able to see exactly how to place the fabric.   I do however remember the down side to prepared edge - sewing through the starch!  Starched edges are nice and crisp, you can tell how it's going to look before you sew.  It's also very portable.  But the leaves on the candle are batik and holy moly, getting the needle through those starched tips isn't easy.  I'm using a very fine straw needle with thimble.  I'm pretty sure I'll break a needle at least once on those things.  I have a bunch more holly leaves on a wreath block and think I'll do regular needle turn on those.  Also it doesn't work well on small circles, the mylar circle gathered with a runner stitch works best on those, but the large circle for the ornament worked great.

this method is what Ester Aliu recommends, and from the book Simply sucessful applique by Jeanne Sullivan.

judyinohio

Jun-7

I love reading about applique challenges.

While I would never ever attempt such a quilting project that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading about the skill involved in creating a work of art.

Do I really see that the saddle on the rocking horse is "flapping in the breeze", so to speak?  And the elegant stocking looks as though there's a lady's foot ready to dance ...

the stocking does kind of look like a sock, doesn't it.   Hmm, I might fix that before I sew it down - or maybe not.  

I purchased the pattern based on seeing the actual quilt which was wonderful.  The pattern however is very amateurish - not trying to be mean but it isn't professionally done.  I think she was teaching a class at the shop and they just made copies of her drawings which are very rough.   I added the numbers.  No placement guides, nothing.  Just drawings and a cutting chart for the block sizes.  Part of the reason I hadn't made it yet.  But I was trying to decide on something to applique and thought I'd give this a go.

I feel like my skills are good enough now that I can take her pattern as a starting off point and fix some things.  The horse will look better once the embroidery is added.  Does the stocking look too weird?

MelRN

Jun-7

I've one of those water brushes...great for watercolor/gouache too...activates just a little at a time!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-7

That's gonna be so pretty when you're done!

You did a great job in explaining what that technique entails.  I think it's a little too fiddly for me but that's why there are numerous methods to choose from!

judyinohio

Jun-7

I absolutely love the stocking!  I love the rocking horse, too.