Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Recommend a "Use it all up" pattern   General Discussion

Started Jun-11 by sueinIL; 1850 views.
sueinIL

Jun-11

Over the last several months, I have been on a CW binge.  I've made 5 pretty (IMHO) quilts, and now I'm ready to use up every single scrap of dark red, tan, blue, green , brown, and black  printed fabric I have.  What would you recommend as a way to use my stacks of fabrics?  Cut everything into 2 1/2" squares or 2 12" strips?  Make the old Jelly Roll Race quilt?  Rail Fence?   I need suggestions on how to wrap up that whole phase of my quilting life.   Right now I'm making a quilt similar to the Abraham Lincoln quilt on display at the museum in Springfield.  (The pattern is a free download for anyone interested,)  16-patches and stars, a pretty good sized quilt.   I thought it would use up more fabric than it is.  Or maybe I just bought more with every quilt.

Thanks!

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Jun-11

If you have hunks, have you tried a disappearing pinwheel?  I did them with 10” squares.  Fun, fast, and lots of pretty options,

judyinohio

Jun-11

As I recall, you are never able to post any photos so we will not be able to see what you mean about having "stacks" of leftover fabrics.

If I was facing a heap of random leftover fabrics I would cut them up so I could go with the old "Mile a Minute" idea and make a lot of blocks (saving out one of the dark red fabrics for later use). Then I would separate my eight inch square Mile a Minute blocks with off-white (muslin?) sashing using the dark red for square cornerstones in the sashing strips.  Or if your stack of leftovers is really huge, make ten inch MaM blocks or twelve inchers ....

Here's an example of what one person's Mile-a-Minute quilt looks like in case you've never made one; this person used wonky piecing in the central part of some blocks.

that's interesting, I've never seen one of those.  I like the way they did the sashing as part of the block on two sides rather than in long strips, kind of nice.  snagging that idea for an I spy down the road smile

That's the way I always do my sashing - in an L shape on the block, with or without cornerstones.  Then I only need to add the last two sashing rows on the two sides of the quilt that don't have it yet, instead of all the way around the quilt.

sueinIL

Jun-11

No, I haven't made one of those, but I do like the design.  I'm pretty tired of matching triangle seams, and small squares.  I've tried to stay true to the CW look, and I'm burned out on it. Your MaM would be much more random and less hassle to make.  Thank you!

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jun-11

Every year from 1980 until 2010 I made Christmas gifts for the five women who worked in our office. Some years the gifts were more ambitious than others ....

One year I made each woman a Mile-a-Minute quilt. Here's a close-up photo of one of them showing how I made the sashing squares match the border fabric. That was a bit of overkill for scrap quilts but I still had fun creating the dozens of blocks I needed for five of those quilts. LOL  I made those quilts in 2001 before I had my longarm machine.  (No wonder my shoulders are worn out!)

One thing I would recommend is to make sure that there is no color in the MaM block that is identical to the color you plan to use for the sashing.  Note that there is minimal amounts of white in the prints in my blocks. You don't want it to look like your sashing is "bleeding" into the blocks. 

Also, in retrospect, I think my sashing is too wide.

sueinIL

Jun-11

I loved seeing it all come together in your last photo.  The blocks have a kaleidoscope effect with all the colors and cuts.  And the sashing and stones appeal  to my love of structure and order.  I really like this idea!I

Sue in IL

• Edited June 11, 2021 2:05 pm  by  sueinIL
sueinIL

Jun-11

Thanks, Ellen!  I'll look into that one.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Jun-11

Judy, is there a tutorial for this block?  Maybe something on youtube?

Sue in IL