Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What size?   General Discussion

Started Jun-18 by MelRN; 571 views.
MelRN

Jun-18

What size is your typical quilt size? I often make them about 60x60 or 90x100...tho I've been thinking of upping it to 100x100, as with quilting it shrinks and I like it to come down on the sides a foot or more (queen bed)...

In reply toRe: msg 1

To fit a bed I would measure the top of the matress, decide if you want a pillow tuck. Add around 3 sides for the drop and add about 3-5 inches for the quilting. The denser the quilting the more it will shrink up.

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jun-18

I've gone to quilting "small".  I like to hand quilt and small means I'll finish "eventually".  My largest is maybe 40" x 40".  I know I'm weird.

Cris in MT

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-18

For years, I have used the following cheat sheet from Fons & Porter regarding *typical* quilt sizes.  I'd use these as a starting point and change as I saw fit.  These sizes were measured to use **with a dust ruffle*, so that if you don't have a dust ruffle extending from the mattress, you might want to check the drop you need/want.  I'm included the mattress measurement so that you can see what the drop is with these quilt sizes.

crib: 30"x54"  or  30"x45"  [mattress: 27"x52"]

twin: 65"x95"       [mattress: 39"x75"]

double/full: 80"x95"     [mattress: 54"x75"]

queen: 96"x100"           [mattress: 60"x80"]

std king: 106"x106"            [mattress: 76"x80"]

Cal King:   108"x108"             [mattress: 72"x84"]

However, I just did a quick look at what is posted for current quilt sizes for the above beds and the current measurements are different from my cheat sheet.  Clearly, there is room for "customization".  :-)   Take a look at https://www.inspired2quilt.com/standard-quilt-sizes.htm

MelRN

Jun-18

Ok, for a queen bed with no pillow tuck, what would you do? 

MelRN

Jun-18

5dogmom (CRISR5) said...

My largest is maybe 40" x 40".  I know I'm weird.

Lemme tell you, you're not weird. You just make a different choice than me. 40x40 is great for a wheelchair lap, for instance.

MelRN

Jun-18

Thanks! 96"x100" would definitely do better than 90...I've found myself making the bed with the quilt sideways so it goes down enough...

In reply toRe: msg 5
Midkid5

Jun-18

If you are making a bed quilt for someone specific something to think about....Does this person have broad shoulders?   My DH has very broad shoulders, sleeps on his side so there is a mountain in the bed, takes more fabric to cover a mountain than a hill or bump.

Jo

In reply toRe: msg 6
5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jun-19

People (non-quilters) have asked me occasionally why I didn't just sew all those together and make a "real" quilt.

Cris in MT

In reply toRe: msg 5

I would measure the size if the mattress. Put some pillows on there and see if you need some more inches for than. Then add your drop down the three sides. Add 3 to five inches for shrinkage for quilting and wash and dry.