Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Living room full of donation quilts   General Discussion

Started Jul-6 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 1092 views.

I don't know how many of you keep up with Pat Sloan on YouTube, but even if you don't follow her on a regular basis, you may be interested to see this video of her organizing a house full of quilts, documenting them, and getting them ready to donate.  I don't watch ALL of her videos - sometimes I find her a little goofy, but she sure gets a lot of quilts made.  Yikes!

FYI - the video is a little over 18 minutes long, and it's somewhat of a "trunk show" of several of her creations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axh3wCwbJFY 

judyinohio

Jul-6

Almost looks like a hoarding situation but after watching the video for a few minutes I came to realize that she's made a living from all those quilts.

Would I be a total doofus if I admit I've never heard of this woman before?  Okay, call me Judy the doofus.

Well, she's fairly well known in the quilting world, but I have never been a big follower of hers.  She makes very nice quilts, but I have never really known that much about her.  I guess her quilting style is just not as interesting to me as the styles of some others.  (Same with Bonnie Hunter, though.  I like her scrappy quilts, but it's enough for me to occasionally see them on her website.  I'm not one of her devoted followers who loves to sit and watch her stitch-alongs and listen to the running commentary.  But she's not the only one.  There are many quilters out there who put out these hour-long - or longer - YouTube videos where they piece or stitch and talk the whole time.  Yikes!  That's just too long, IMHO.  I like shorter tutorials and demonstrations of tools or techniques, but then I want to shut down the video and get to stitching something myself.)  I have un-subscribed from some YouTubers who make those long live videos where they spend 3/4 of the time greeting all their viewers and keep stopping to answer random questions. 

So, I wouldn't say you are a doofus for not knowing who she is.  There is a LOT of stuff out there to wade through before you find something interesting to you.  Currently I'm on a streak of watching a resin and wood-turning artist from the UK named Nick Zammeti.  He's very amusing, and even though I do not ever intend to take up wood-turning, I find his videos very *satisfying* and entertaining.   

I have watched a few Pat Sloan videos over the years, and I think she keeps most of them to a very reasonable length, but I still don't watch that many of them.  But her output of quilts is amazing.  She said all these quilts she has sorted and stacked in her living room and dining room are the product of almost 30 years of quilting, teaching, writing books, etc.  They range from miniature to larger bed-sized quilts.  It looks like most are lap or throw-size or wall hanging size.  In a Q&A on one of her videos, she describes how she and her husband run the company and it's pretty much a two-person business - but it sounds like each of them does many different tasks.  She has written many books and patterns (for which she does all the photography), designs fabric lines, teaches classes at quilt shows and guilds, etc., and her husband does all the stuff like accounting, planning, travel arrangements, etc.  I guess to be in the quilting business these days, you have to do it all -- design fabric, write books, teach, do videos, podcasts, etc.  It sounds like they are self-published, but I don't know.  She has probably been associated with other publishers before.  I have heard her name for years, but I don't think I have bought many - if any - of her patterns or other products.    

latterberry

Jul-7

I have heard of Pat Sloan and after  looking through Pintrest I realize I have made some of her free patterns.  I only watched a part of her video because for some reason that frequent giggle just drove me nuts.  But then, I don't  watch that many videos.  I do like Jenny from MSQC and Donna Jordan because theirs are short and to the point.  

It blows my mind that someone would stockpile that many quilts.  What good are they doing all stacked up like that?  I'm one of those that thinks they should be displayed to enjoy looking at or actually used.  What would happen to all of those if she should suddenly pass away?  I know I am guilty of stockpiling a couple of dozen before I deliver to a charity, but her stockpile was overwhelming.

MelRN

Jul-7

It's like my parents' house. Hoarder. Made me claustrophobic in about 3 seconds!

I do have a stack in a cabinet, quite a few hanging in a closet and several on walls.  I bet I would be surprised if I counted them.  But that is pretty overwhelming.  

Yes, that little giggle is one reason I don't watch more.  I don't know why she has waited so long to finally donate most of those quilts to various charities, but I do commend her for doing so now.  Just another reason why after you "quilt as you go," you should "donate as you go."  :o)  

latterberry

Jul-8

I'd say I have about the same as you--the ones  have special meaning.  That's normal, not a huge stockpile like she had!

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

Jul-9

All the quilts have been used as part of her business.  She has written many books and has the quilts from those books.  When she used to travel to quilt guilds, she needed the set of quilts that went with the book she was giving workshops for.  And then she does have her own quilts for some personal use -- she decorates her house for the seasons and different holidays with wall hangings, pillows, lap quilts, etc.  No hoarding involved.  All were stored in a separate extra bedroom and only brought to the living room for inventorying.    

You are exactly right.  Her second episode of "Gathering of the Quilts" first aired today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzaZYX3XK8

In this "episode 2," she answers a lot of questions people have been asking about why she has kept all of these quilts for so many years.