Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have shipping costs deterred you from ordering online?   General Discussion

Started Jul-28 by sueinIL; 1217 views.
sueinIL

Jul-28

I was just searching around for a red, white, and blue jelly roll.  The prices ranged from $42 to $36.  I went for the lower price because it seemed reasonable to me.  The shipping for that one jelly roll was $10.33! Not buying that one!  I can get a padded envelope at the PO for about $3-4.  Why should an online shop charge 3 X that amount? 

Ranting, I know, but holy carp!

Sue in IL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-28

Yup.  In some cases, the shipping appears to be exorbitant and then decline to patronize that vendor.

OTOH, if I really, really, really, really want the item and I can't find a similar product elsewhere, I have been known to suck it up and pay the shipping, just so I could get the item.  (I do complain about it, though!)

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-28

Because its not just the shipping charge you are paying for.

Someone has to get that item out of stock, prepare the envelope, package the item, and possibly take it to the post office.

If they are a small shop, they don't have that overhead built into their operation model/cost for the item. Big guys like Amazon have spoiled us for shipping/handling - they can take a loss on those costs and still keep on ticking (they tell me to save costs by order a bunch of stuff at once...but then it shows up in multiple boxes!! Fair to boggles the mind how that saves anything!) 

It depends on how much I *really* want it, or if I can wait until I have time for an in-person shopping trip - sometimes to a location a few hours from where I live.  Since I now live in a much smaller city and not in a huge metropolitan area, chances are that the only way I can get something like that is online, so I am usually okay with the shipping, even if it is what I would consider high.  (I have often paid shipping costs that are more than the item itself, if I wanted it bad enough.)  And even when I lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth "Metroplex," sometimes I would have been glad to pay that much to have it delivered, instead of having to get out in the traffic and travel many miles around town just to see if I can get it "locally."  In a "metroplex," you also have to think about the cost of gas, your time, etc.  I don't like the high shipping costs either, but sometimes it's the price you pay to have access to certain things.  And it's one of their costs of doing business in today's economy, because they likely have to include all sorts of things like employee wages in that shipping cost - not just the cost of an envelope.  It's nice to have the option of going out again after so many months of lock-down, but I admit I have been spoiled to having things delivered, even if it does cost a little more.  PLUS, I have a selfish motive too -- I wanted those places to stay in business and not get shut down for good because of the pandemic.  So, I have been willing to pitch in a little more, money-wise.  

So, like I said -- it just depends on how bad you want it, and whether you could live without it.  I usually CAN just make do with what I have, but most of the time I opt to spend the money.      

judyinohio

Jul-28

Suze explained it very well.

You are paying for a convenience of something delivered to your home, Sue.

What Suze and Johnna said. Just your gas to go get the item can be pretty pricey these days if you are driving more than 2-3 gallons of gas worth. Being able to just sit in your house and shop anything you want and have it at your doorstep a few days later is pretty convient.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-28

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

Just your gas to go get the item can be pretty pricey these days

not to mention the risks you take by actually going into a store these days! Still need that 'social distancing'...

plus...by ordering over the internet, you can shop in your jammies!!

In reply toRe: msg 5
sueinIL

Jul-28

Of course you are all right! I have been greatly spoiled by amazon and by my nearness to a wonderful fabric shop with excellent prices.  If I dig deep enough into my own stash, I could probably find what I want.  Or I could just close my eyes tightly as my index finger hits "order now."

Sue in IL

Msg 3884.9 deleted
Msg 3884.10 deleted