Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Found some local quilting peeps   General Discussion

Started Aug-1 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 1116 views.

So, yesterday there was a meet-up at the local library for anybody who wanted to come and share some time together and show what they are working on.  I have been thinking that I should stop being such a hermit and start getting out more and being a little more sociable.  I have been such a recluse during the past couple of years.  But anyway, I went.  I didn't have any hand-stitching project ready to go, so I did my usual - worked on wrapping some hangers, because I still have a lot of demand from certain family members.  

And I met some very nice ladies, who invited me to join the local quilting group - not a "guild."  They gave me all the info for the official meetings (2nd Monday of each month), and for the other non-official meet-ups they have every Wednesday afternoon.  There were other ladies there making jewelry, knitting, crocheting, painting, embroidering, and another family there doing some home schooling stuff and playing board games.  Some of those crafty ladies are members of the local craft guild and were making things for their craft show in September.  I might join the craft guild at some point, but probably later.  Most of them are vendors at the craft shows they have, but it's not a requirement of guild membership.  Anyway, just another way to meet many other people.   

The quilting ladies I was sitting with left after 2-3 hours, so a couple of other nice ladies who were scrapbooking invited me to join them at their big table, which I did.  Then they invited me to a scrapbooking retreat coming up in August, and said I didn't need to be a scrapper/cropper to attend, and I could bring anything else to work on.  So now I really do need to get some hand-stitching projects ready to go.  

And soon will be meeting up with some old friends for lunch.  One friend said "Let's do it quick, before they shut us in again."  People were really talking a lot about that possibility.  I sure hope we don't have to do all that again!   

In reply toRe: msg 1

AND I also meant to say that I found out what a great library we have here in San Angelo.  I hope to spend a lot more time there in the future.  

LABFIEND

Aug-1

Sounds great!  Glad you are getting out and socializing some, have fun!!

judyinohio

Aug-1

Good for you for getting and mixing and for also finding a local resource for books and videos and other fun things.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-1

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

The quilting ladies I was sitting with left after 2-3 hours, so a couple of other nice ladies who were scrapbooking invited me to join them at their big table, which I did.  Then they invited me to a scrapbooking retreat coming up in August,

You are DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.   absolutely doomed.  You have fallen down a Black Hole.  It all starts so innocently.   "Come sit by us!"  :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-1

what fun!!

my local group (the Krafty Techs Fiber Arts Guild) is not strictly just quilting either! our meetups - sadly very, very few since Covid -  have included a lady working on Cos-play costumes, beading, weaving, crocheting/knitting...I hope we get back to being able to do more stuff together someday.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

haha - no.  I do admire what they do and think all of that stuff they use is neat-o, but I am not very interested in doing any scrapbooking mice elf.  Nor do I have enough money to finance a scrapping habit.  I have too much invested in fabric futures.  

The closest I may ever come to scrapbooking would be making a "junk journal," BUTTTTTT ... I'm not into journaling either.  But I would like to have a place to put all the little bits of things that I don't really need to keep but don't want to throw out either.  I do like tidbits.  

Well, who knows what could happen?  

judyinohio

Aug-1

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

mice elf.

That's really cute!  "Mice elf" instead of "myself". Has to be a classic ...

Hah!  I wasn't being original.  I copied it from a song I remembered from my youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5BP2KlPD4U