Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Does Anyone Here Play Around With Grown-up Coloring Books?   Off-Topic Chat

Started Aug-3 by judyinohio; 410 views.
judyinohio

Aug-3

Piecing is done with the blocks for my reds and neutrals "Barber Pole" quilt and, quite frankly, I need a break from sitting at my sewing machine. My shoulders are killing me, my back is sore and the thought of sewing those ten inch blocks into a quilt top (with a narrow red border and a wider neutral border) is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

I need a break .... maybe for five or six days .... and I was thinking of going to Hobby Lobby which is about a mile from my house and picking up one of those coloring books for grown-ups and relaxing with my fancy colored pencils.   (Notice I did not say "adult" coloring books ... don't want you respectable people to get the wrong idea. wink)

Do any forum members have opinions to offer me on this idea? Should I use colored pencils or ink pens? Brand names on coloring books?

I won't make this trip to Hobby Lobby until tomorrow because I am going to tidy up my sewing room today, putting away leftover 1.5" strips of fabrics, cleaning and oiling Cecil Faye, etc. 

DD and I have done them.  Gel pens or sharpies worked the best.  Colored pencils kept breaking.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-3

I have a few coloring books...and a huge box of colored pencils. Very relaxing.

Haven't used pens yet, though I do have Inktense pencils that turn into ink when you wet the marks (I use them on fabric mostly)

Try both.. see what you like doing...

I bought my coloring books and pencils at the dollar store. Wanted to see if I would like coloring before I invested a bunch.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-3

"...don't want you respectable people to get the wrong idea..."

We have *respectable* people here??  Where are these rare creatures??  LOL!

MelRN

Aug-5

My favorite are prismacolors, but they're pretty expensive for colored pencils. The soft ones tho blend and layer so nicely, you get spoiled for anything else. I did the coloring books for a bit (but I was ahead of the curve and took Cinderella and Lion king to college with me). Now I do bullet journaling, which allows me to express my creativity, and I've started painting! Oh, what fun!!!

karensquilte

Aug-8

Judy, I have had coloring books now for years and use the best colored pencils.  I enjoy coloring when I'm not sewing.  It's very relaxing. I have all sorts of books from animals to designs.  Do what you think will be fun.

judyinohio

Aug-8

My local Hobby Lobby store certainly had a wide range of books. I was surprised to see the pages in most books were perforated for easy removal.

I'm working on one page for the time being ... at least you can put your feet up while coloring, not something you can do at the sewing machine. ;-)

nylaagain

Aug-8

Where do you expect to encounter those “respectable people “?