Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A curious quilt photo   General Discussion

Started Aug-14 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 510 views.

I found this listed on my local "Marketplace" page.  I thought this was an interesting object to use to show comparable size of a quilt in a photo.  LOL  (This is listed as a "doll quilt," 34 X 34, made sometime in the 1940s, selling for $26, marked down from $55.)  

Well that might be there to represent the fun you will have with the quilting because that quilt is not even close to being flat. There is a reason some quilts were left as tops and never quilted.

judyinohio

Aug-14

Also, it looks to me like a rectangle, not a square, so one of those measurements is not correct.

Well, it wasn't just left as a top.  You can tell in the photo that it wasn't quilted, but it IS tied with some sort of thread or string.  I think it is just two layers, the top and the back (which is not shown, but you can see that it does have a binding).  It doesn't look like it has any batting in it, which is understandable.  The person who listed it said that it was made for her before she was born by a friend of her mother's, and she reckoned that it must have been made sometime between 1940 and 1949.  It could have been made as a baby quilt, but she called it a "doll quilt," so she probably played with it as a little girl.  She said it would probably not stand up to washing, but I think she meant in a washing machine.  It could probably be gently hand-washed, but you never know.  She thought it was made with feed sacks.  She must have a good reason for selling it, or else I do not know why she would be selling such a nice childhood memento.  But sometimes you get to an age where you no longer feel like holding on to such things, so who knows?  

CC (ccase5)

Aug-14

Oh those swirls are an optical illusion! like the toilet paper!

Maybe the toilet paper is covering a moth hole?  Or something.....