Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It is time to leave your sewing room when...   Off-Topic Chat

Started Sep-12 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 728 views.

You stab two pins into your finger instead of the pincusion.  Time to call it a night before something more serious happens.

sueinIL

Sep-13

Yikes!  My quitting time is when I make a mistake, rip it out, and then do the exact same thing wrong again.

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Sep-13

You certainly do not want to bleed on a llama.

sueinIL said:

My quitting time is when I make a mistake, rip it out, and then do the exact same thing wrong again.

Mine too!

In reply toRe: msg 5
CC (ccase5)

Oct-8

I had only a few straight pins in the binding plus many clips. I went to move my quilt in my lap as I was sewing the binding down and got scratched. jerked my arm backwards and got the whole length of my arm. Ouch!! no bleeding but it hurt later on. started swelling and itching. So no pins are in my future!!!
also been there, done that with making the same mistake again thing!

I have been finishing so many tops the last couple of years so doing a ton of bindings that I have finally realized I do not need to pin the binding. I just turn, hold do a few stitches and repeat. Putting in all the pins in takes up time, the thread gets caught on them and you can get stuck by them.

Hope your arm feels better soon. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-8

Like you, I don't pin my bias binding onto the quilt.  I just lay the binding on top and sew.  Bizarrely, I do enjoy doing the miter corners .. it's a great feeling of accomplishment.

And when I join the ends for the final seam, I *still* grin like a fool when it comes out perfectly.  Gotta love the small things.  :-)

sueinIL

Oct-9

Of course you grin!  You invented the end-of- binding process.

DD and I use it every time. Your name is legend, dear Pirate.

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Oct-21

Ha, i could probably do that too for sewing it over to the back. On an earlier quilt i had put a few straight pins in to get me started on that. while stitching, i felt something stick me and jerked my arm backwards. didn't think much but actually got scratched from elbow to wrist by a pin!! no blood but it itched and became swollen awhile. So no pins if i can help it from now on. Careful is the word!