Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

going to a retreat that doesn't involve flying   General Discussion

Started Sep-16 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 535 views.

This feels very weird, getting ready to go to a retreat where I can pack as much as I want in my car.  I am bringing my tv tray pressing table to use as an extra side table.  I am bringing extra fabric for the llama project and my wool pressing mat.  And my own large iron (they only have 2 pressing stations).  But they do have nice task chairs (vs hotel conference room chairs) - that will be lovely.  I'm resisting all urges to bring my big machine.   But I might toss in a bag of novelty scraps to make piano keys if I get frustrated with the llamas.  So that would make 2 machine projects and 2 hand projects - way more than 3 days worth of sewing - but choices are nice, right?

The weirdest part is that you AZ ladies won't be there.  I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends and spending focused time with my cousin.  Normally she is so busy I can only catch her for 2 hours at a time.  But preparing for a retreat brings back such sweet memories of you AZ gals.  And I'm missing you - virtual hugs. heart_eyes

Enjoy!!!

I am just close enough to Phoenix that I often drive. One year I brought a huge amount of fabric and no plan. That was not a good idea. I have been more and more organized and always ask myself, how would Dee do this. It really is wonderful not to have to cram it all on a few suitcases.

Send us some photos of your progress. I bet you leave with a whole bunch of friends. Quilters are such nice people!

MelRN

Sep-16

Have a great time!!

thanks Ami.  I am excited.  It is usually a group of 12, a local sewing bee that has gotten together for several years.  But because of various factors, several are not going this year. So I am going as the guest of my cousin by marriage twice removed (her husband is Ronnie's 2nd cousin).  She taught classes at Cabbage Rose but is now retired - I'm also going to Houston with her.  She's taken me under her wing so to speak now that I'm "semi-retired".

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-16

Eh, don't overthink this!! You will have a wonderful time.

And don't do up all your kits before the retreat!

When Denise and I would drive over from So Cal, it was soooo nice to be able to just take what I wanted. 

Suze (casuzenn) said:

And don't do up all your kits before the retreat!

I'm doing my best to not work on the retreat projects - though I do want to make one more llama on my portable machine, just to make sure it works well.  I haven't used it other than for button holes since the last time I went to AZ.  Last night I made some more zipper bags  out of clear vinyl.  I took the ones out of my retreat bag and have been using them for supplies for my various hand projects.  Now I need them for retreat stuff - so I made a few more for extras including one for thread.   they make me happy

I also have several quilts I'm quilting that need binding - that should keep me busy for the next week or so. blush  And I was thinking of a couple of ideas for  easy I spys - I might make them into kits just in case the llama gets too complicated for a retreat.

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-16

those zipper bags are doggone cute!

yup... make more kits!!  You might find that you get on a roll with the llamas and get done faster than you think. Or you could get royally bored with them.

I try to bring a few simple projects in case I get to a stuck point or just want some mindless sewing..

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Sep-16

I'm sure you will have a great time.  Meeting new quilters is always fun.  Hope you will be able to come to the next AZ retreat whenever we have it.relaxed

bornblesse2

Sep-19

We have been missing you as well!

now you know why we locals always bring so much stuff!  Because we CAN!

tuckyquilter

Sep-25

It sounds like a great time of sewing and friends, both new and old.  

Hope you took lots of photos of