Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Opinions needed on fabric   General Discussion

Started Sep-18 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 607 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-18

Below is a "progress" picture of my EPP project, "Forget Me Not".  Some of it is already stitched but some of the hexies are just sitting on the table.  They are all in the places they will eventually be stitched.

There are two "rings":  A and B.  They surround a "bright" turquoise 2-hexie unit.  They are different fabrics.  Fabric A is "bluer" in color and has a more geometric, linear kind of design.  Fabric B is "grayer" and has a more fluid, circular kind of design.

I would like your opinions on which looks better.  Everything BUT the A and B fabric stays where it is.   What I need is a fabric (either A or B) that sufficiently allows the 2-unit light turquoise hexies in the middle to appear to be distinct while being compatible with all the other hexies.

I'm ambivalent as to which fabric looks best in combination with all the other elements.  I could go with either one.

I would appreciate your opinions, please.     

LABFIEND

Sep-18

If I understand your question, I would pick B. the bright turquoise doesn't pop out of the A hexies, more contrast in the B hexies.

judyinohio

Sep-18

I looked at your photo through my red lens glasses (the value finder ones) and it is a case of "six of one and a half dozen of the other". 

Thus IMHO it boils down to the textures of the grey fabrics and I prefer fabric A's geometric texture which seems to recede.

By the way, I am in awe of the fussy placement of the tiny stork scissors.heart_eyes

I like A, you sure are making progress!!!!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-18

Oh! Red lenses!  I never thought of that!  Excellent idea!

It occurred to me that since you confirmed they are basically the same value (no wonder I thought they both might work!), I could split the difference and actually use 6 of one and half dozen of the other!  I could alternate each fabric since I do need 12 total. 

Thanks about the fussy cutting!  It's not difficult; you just use a window template ... essentially,  the negative of a regular template!  I like the final effect but I hate how wasteful the process is .  You end up with fabric that looks like Swiss cheese .  

The fussy cutting could have been better but sometimes I was stuck with where the motif fell on the piece of fabric. Eh .. shrug ... it's good enough for me.  It's not a show quilt.

judyinohio

Sep-18

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

but I hate how wasteful the process is . You end up with fabric that looks like Swiss cheese .

As a SABLE quilter (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy) why in blazes are you fretting over a wee bit of wastefulness? 

I think maybe you are old enough now to start living dangerously with some parts of your stash. smirk

• Edited September 18, 2021 11:32 am  by  judyinohio
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-18

judyinohio said:

why in blazes are you fretting over a wee bit of wastefulness?  I think maybe you are old enough now to start living dangerously with some parts of your stash. :-)

Indeed .. why do I fret?   Well... there's a nagging thought in the back of my Swiss Cheese brain that says, "you could need that piece of fabric in X years!"

As for living dangerously .... exactly!  If not *now*, when???  I'm at the point where I have used up my warranty and am approaching salvage value!  LOL!

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-18

I was going to suggest alternating as well..

Suze (casuzenn)

Sep-18

"Eat the cake...wear the shoes..."

judyinohio

Sep-18

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

, "you could need that piece of fabric in X years!"

Nonsense!!

In X years you can buy a similar piece of fabric (if you even recall what that fabric looked like).