Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Selling antique quilts   General Discussion

Started Sep-23 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 290 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-23

A friend of mine has 2 antique quilts from the early 1900s, made in the Philippines (as she was told).  She would like to sell them.  What would be a proper venue for her to place the quilts?  An auction house?  Is there an online site to sell antique quilts?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

MelRN

Sep-23

I tried, with some of MY better quilts, and with my antique quilts...no luck on ebay. Sold two of them for about $100 ea...less than the cost of quilting them. I don't know about any others.

Maybe you could consult with a licensed quilt appraiser and see what s/he recommends.  There has GOT to be a market or clearinghouse or something for antique quilts.  

judyinohio

Sep-23

When I sold my collection of vintage shell cameos about ten years ago I took them to a regional auction house because that seemed to be the best way to dispense with a large grouping that had taken me decades to collect. I also gave the auctioneers two lovely crazy quilt tops that I had picked up at antique shows while I was shopping for shell cameos.

One thing that the head auctioneer pointed out to me when I took my items in for him to sell was that I had purchased these items years ago at retail prices and now that I was ready to sell them I was going to be selling them at wholesale prices; it other words, I should not expect to be making a profit.

I was agreeable to this idea; I merely wanted to move them out of my house, get them gone, so to speak, so that my children did not have to deal with them when I was dead and gone.

Thus, in my experience, an auction house is a good place to sell valuable quilts but don't expect to make a lot of money. The people shopping at an auction are probably dealers and they are not going to bid crazy prices.

Contraryqltr

Sep-24

She could start with Facebook Marketplace.  May have no luck but you never know.  Just make sure she puts "firm" on whatever she wants for them.  If she does not get any interest in a week or two, then she could try some of the other suggestions.  There are also Quilt groups on Facebook she could join and ask there because asking may generate interest in buying.

Mary in Michigan