Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

new diagonal scrappy quilt idea   General Discussion

Started Nov-29 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 802 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-29

This quilt was posted in one of my FB quilt groups today.  This particular quilt was made by Tracy LaCombe of Keene, New Hampsire.  "Diamond Chain Link" from a class at Vermont Quilt Festival 2021 (no instructor given).   A quick internet search didn't pull up *this* layout.

This doesn't look like one of your "standard" scrappy quilts but it sure could be!  From examining the photos, I can see that the block is rectangular, not square.  The scrappy strip is not on the true diagonal .... one edge *starts* at a corner while the the other edge hits the other corner ... pretty unusual, I think.  It seems to me that if you cut a (for example) 2" strip and lay one edge on the upper corner and angle it so the lower edge of the strip hits the lower corner of the block, that would give you your layout ... and more importantly, the exact size the side triangles would need to be.

As for the strip itself, it appears as though there are 3 fabrics ... not even necessarily coordinated .. although you could take a jelly roll & make a strip set out of 3 of them.  After you make the strip set of whatever width strips you want, cut the the strip set so that it is at an angle.

And look at the negative space that is created!

judyinohio

Nov-29

Are my eyes deceiving me or does the grey fabric in the center of this design form a square? 

You write that the block is a rectangle and I can see that but lining up the blocks next to each other causes them to create squares.

CC (ccase5)

Nov-29

keen eye!! they do, i think anyway.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-30

judyinohio said:

does the grey fabric in the center of this design form a square? 

It sure does seem to appear that way.

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-30

I think if you took just the grey parts from each rectangle, it would equal a square...

MelRN

Nov-30

Reminds me of the siggy blocks we did way back when, with a solid fabric down the middle of a HST.

viola (sissly4)

Nov-30

I am going to see if I can make one. Thank's for posting the picture.

I see strip sets of three fabrics cut on the diagonal to make diamonds and then half square triangles sewn to top and bottom. 

Here's one photo I found of a similar quilt - different quilting and fabric choices gives it a somewhat different look, but looks basically the same.  I found it on Pinterest, where it said that the pattern is also sometimes called "Diamond Trellis."