Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Any New Year's sewing resolutions?   General Discussion

Started Jan-2 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 1849 views.

I know I'm a day late. 

Here is mine - I am DETERMINED to finish this quilt this year.  I had planned to finish last year, but then I got to having too much fun with the Christmas applique and abandoned it.  If you don't see me posting about it, please remind me and ask how it's going.  Because I KNOW if something where to happen to me, no other quilter would ever want to finish it - haha.  And I've put too much effort in it to just let it go in the landfill.

judyinohio

Jan-2

I will take the liberty of naming this project "Floral Beauty" so we can nag it by name (as in "How's it going with your Floral Beauty?").

Of course, if it has a professional name, you are welcome to kick my name to the curb.

Now, back to undecorating the living room tree ...

• Edited January 2, 2022 12:45 pm  by  judyinohio
bornblesse2

Jan-2

I am trying very hard to finish my dear Jane!  Right now, I am slowed by the blocks that are requiring hand stitching or applique.  I just don’t enjoy it very much.  It seems so tedious to me.

but, I am getting hunks of the center together.  Here is what it looks like on my design wall….

judyinohio

Jan-2

Ellen, I am not very familiar with what a finished "Dear Jane" should look like exactly but it appears to me that you are close to the finish line with this batch of beautiful blocks. I vaguely know the story behind the original and I know that it was a hugely popular thing to work on some years ago (sort of like the Y2K quilts that I recalled reading about).

But, in all honesty, is there any reason you could not call it a "Dear Ellen"quilt and finish it up with the blocks you have?

You know, create enough more blocks to make a rectangular or square quilt and make yourself happy?

Do you recall  my story of what I did with the batch of Y2K squares I found on eBay long after that trading mania was over? I  will tell  you if you are interested.

My point is, a quilter does not have to follow the map that other quilters have followed if she doesn't want to ....

bornblesse2

Jan-2

I could adjust the size, but there are pieced triangles around the outside and they are almost all finished.  If I make the insides smaller, then I hav3 to redo the math for all those dog gone triangles!  Lol, anyway, at this point, I’m down to a few squares, and maybe 4-5 triangles to finish.

call me silly, but it seems more work to recalculate….

Mishii

Jan-2

There is also something satisfying about finishing it “for real”. Not that it wouldn’t be real even if you stopped right now, but you know what I mean. 
You can’t say you finished the marathon is you stop at mile 26. That 0.2 matters!

Looks fantastic Ellen and this is your year!

judyinohio

Jan-2

bornblesse2 said:

anyway, at this point, I’m down to a few squares, and maybe 4-5 triangles to finish.

Okay! 

If that's all you have to do to finish this puppy, then the trick is to promise yourself a wonderful reward when you are done; something like a brand-new pair of Gingher scissors or a new Ott light floor lamp or ...

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-3

My resolution is to label my unlabelled quilts.  There are several, at least 5.  Some of them also need the binding stitched to the back.  Then it's on to my UFO's.  

Also nag you and Ellen to complete your projects....stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Like Dee *needs* any nagging to finish anything.  She's the fastest "completer" in the West!  

I make goals each year and do pretty well with that. For 2022 I am gonna gather all my finished tops. This year what I will do different is take a photo of each one. Then I will see if I can pair it with a back and some notes like size etc. I did pretty well with tops last year but want to try to up my game.

I also want to catelogue UFO's and try to move some of those to top stage.

I have a new rule that has worked pretty well in the past year and that is if I do start something I keep going with it till I finish it.

I also need to catch up on labels.

Also gonna try to organize stash better as I have bins in 2 states and 3 locations.