Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How Do I Scale a Block Down?   General Discussion

Started Jan-11 by judyinohio; 315 views.
judyinohio

Jan-11

I swear that every time I've gone under general anesthesia my brain has slowed down.

(Or maybe it's every time I've had another birthday my brain has dulled more.)

I want to make a block in Marcia's Quilter's Cache but it is designed to be twelve inches. However, I want the block to be nine inches max or perhaps only eight inches (either one).  The block is "Buckeye Beauty" and you can look at it here:  https://www.quilterscache.com/B/BuckeyeBeautyBlock.html

Is there someone who has a clearer mind than mine who can help me change the sizes of the components so I wind up with a finished eight or nine inch block?  Pretty please? sweat

bornblesse2

Jan-11

Judy, in order to make that into a 9” finished block, 

the HSTs need to finish at 4 1/2” - So 5” unfinished.

the 4 patches also need to finish at 4 1/2” - 5” unfinished.

the squares for these will be odd sized. 2 3/4” if I am not mistaken.

these sizes end up really odd because you are taking a 4 grid block and trying to make it an odd number - 9.

it might be easier to make it 8”.

judyinohio

Jan-11

Thank you oodles for your excellent explanation, Ellen. You kicked my sleeping brain into gear and I was able to make first Buckeye Beauty block this afternoon; I'll work on my second one tomorrow.  Unfinished size is 8.5" and so I am a very happy camper today. kissing_smiling_eyes

sueinIL

Jan-12

I was just going to say, "Get out your graph paper!" Ellen's advice is excellent.  This block is a lot like Jane's Ladder, which I love!

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Jan-12

Glad I could help