Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

coiled coasters   General Discussion

Started Jan-17 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 826 views.

just saw this on FB - I've never been interested in making a coiled rug.  But these coasters sure do look cute!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-17

Oh!  I have some rope like that, if you'd like me to bring it to the retreat.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

bring it to the retreat

well, it's up to you but ..... I won't be there blush

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-18

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I won't be there 

oh.  Well.  Drats.

Dang, you'll be missed.  :-(

bornblesse2

Jan-18

That is a great way to make mugs!  Trivets are a great thing to make with coiled ropes also!

In reply toRe: msg 5
CC (ccase5)

Jan-18

I just get worried about my needle, trying to stitch through all that thickness. hmmm, perhaps by hand. maybe not.
MelRN

Jan-18

Do you use a zigzag stitch??

I would definitely use the heavy-duty needles for jeans, canvas, and other heavy fabrics.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Jan-18

I don't think the ones in the picture Dee posted are sewn by machine...I think they are tied....

That being said, a jeans needle would work as long as the rope you are using is all cotton...the poly core ones are too stiff for stitching!

Some years back I made some coiled baskets out of cotton laundry line rope wrapped in straps of  on loved fabric. I sewed on my machine and used a zigzag stitch and heavy duty needle. If you Google them there are tons of tutorials on YouTube.