Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

quilting and your body   General Discussion

Started Jan-22 by MelRN; 486 views.
MelRN

Jan-22

I find that if I spend a day or two sewing, my body gets so tight and sore, it's not funny. How do people do it?

• Edited January 22, 2022 5:04 pm  by  MelRN
In reply toRe: msg 1

well it's like working at a desk all day.  You have to remember to get up and walk around, stretch every hour or so.  Also a good desk chair helps a lot.  When I'm going to be sewing more than an hour or two, I roll my good expensive office chair (from work) back to my sewing room.

judyinohio

Jan-22

There's a book on the subject of quilting ergonomics but I'll be darned if I can think of the title. Maybe it's not a book ... just a pamphlet.

Written by a doctor as I recall.

It has diagrams about correct seat height, elbow position, etc.

Surely one of us has a better memory than mine and can help Mel out with the author and title of this book.

ETA:  If you go to Amazon and do a search on "quilt ergonomics" there are several books that come up.  Here's one of them that seems helpful although I'm not sure it's exactly the one I was thinking about:

https://www.amazon.com/RX-Quilters-Stitcher-Friendly-Advice-Every/dp/1571200924/####?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=35&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=6&keywords=quilt+ergonomics&qid=1642898855&s=books&sr=1-4&unfiltered=1

• Edited January 22, 2022 7:53 pm  by  judyinohio
MelRN

Jan-23

I try to vary what I'm doing so that I'm up regularly, and stretch...but I tell ya, typically I have back and neck pain from sewing...maybe 5 hours of sewing makes me feel like I need pain meds! And last night, for some reason, my R hip and glutes were killing me (yes, I"m right handed and push the pedal with R foot, but wow! This was new!)

MelRN

Jan-23

Thank you, Judy!

Contraryqltr

Jan-23

The right height of your sewing table and a good chair are really helpful.  I also use a "Posture Pleasure" by Bodyright (not sure if this is the brand I have - I've had mine for a long time) - it has a rectangular weight that hangs about at your bra line on your back with adjustable straps on your shoulders and it helps keep you from scrunching over. 

On my yearly retreat, I actually take my chair with me because the retreat center only has stacking chairs that are lower than the table and there is no way I could sew for 4 or 6 days on one of those chairs!  There is a woman who attends the retreat and she elevates the table and stands to do all her work.  I KNOW I couldn't do that but she swears by it.

Good luck!

Mary in Michigan

MelRN

Jan-23

Thanks for the suggestions :) 

In reply toRe: msg 7
sueinIL

Jan-24

I'm not going all medical here, but I have found great relief for tight muscles after a lot of machine sewing in a roll-on called Ted's Pain Relief gel. No aroma and works for me.

Sue in IL

MelRN

Jan-24