Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Long-Ago Hair Color   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jan-23 by judyinohio; 843 views.
judyinohio

Jan-23

My DD was recently lamenting how grey her hair is becoming. She just had her 51st birthday and the grey hairs are really starting to pile up in her dark brown but she does have a nice white "feathering" at her temples which looks a bit distinguished. 

She has tried coloring her hair but she hates the money spent on that; she prefers spending her money on a personal trainer and on fancy groceries.

So, to cheer her up (HAH) I dug out my pony tail from a scrap book and sent her this photo to show her what time had done to me.  I call myself "strawberry blonde" now ... lots of silver mixed in with the copper.  wink 

I still list hair color as "red" on my driver's license; the people at the DMV say I can call it whatever I like. 

CC (ccase5)

Jan-23

Ha!! they know the chances of a woman coloring their hair is big, so they quit worrying about that. Now everyone colors their hair, so.....
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-23

Definitely red hair.   You could make a block with the braid pattern made in those shades of this color for your Kresge quilt

judyinohio

Jan-23

I had not thought of that, Cathy.  Thanks!

(Here's a laugh. My DF always liked it when I wore a yellow outfit, said it looked good with my red hair. He told my mom he wanted me to wear a yellow dress when I got married. Of course, she was horrified and would not consider such an idea in 1964.)

sueinIL

Jan-24

A couple years ago, I quit going full-on dark brown hair coloring and began un-coloring.  I'm not yet ready for silver, so I'm now sort of a dark honey blonde.  Covers the gray and doesn't look totally fake.  I remember telling my hair lady that I'd stop coloring when my eyebrows are gray.  She laughed and said they have ways to deal with that!

Sue in IL

I remember my Mother going to the beauty shop every week, and every few months she would get her eyebrows dyed.  It was always a shock seeing her right after that, because they came out so dark at first, but then gradually faded over a few months, till it was time to do them again.  My own eyebrows are quite sparse and light, and I got tired of using eyebrow pencil every time I put on makeup, so I finally got mine tattooed - hah!  But it's been several years now, and I really need a touch-up, because those do fade a little bit over time too - just not as fast.  Now I rarely ever wear any makeup at all unless it is a VERY special occasion.  I wish I had done the permanent eyeliner back then too.  

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jan-24

Those white wings (as I call them) are GREAT places for my purple hair!  Past time for me to get that done again ...

Cris in MT

Mishii

Jan-24

I’ve embraced my grey. Quit coloring about 15 years ago. It is quite liberating, but I really really hate going to the salon. I only get a haircut about every 6 months when it gets really big. 

latterberry

Jan-25

What beautiful hair color.  I remember going through my mom's things after she passed and came across her memories box.  She idolized her own mother and kept a braid of her hair.  Creeped me out.  I didn't have fond memories of my grandmother--seemed like she was always whining or complaining.

In reply toRe: msg 9

I've let mine grown out since I started working from home.  I was thinking about it, but figured this was a good time to try it.  I've been pleasantly surprised, it's kind of a nice salt & pepper.