Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stick a Fork in it ... The "This is My Life" Quilt is Done   General Discussion

Started Apr-5 by judyinohio; 2262 views.
Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-8

eh...I haven't had that interesting a life, but there are enough things I think I could make at least a lap quilt.

Mine would likely be full of applique... and crazy quilting...and embroidery... and English Paper Piecing.

We'll see...

judyinohio

Apr-8

Don't overthink it, Suze. Just dive in.

In reply toRe: msg 22
judyinohio

Apr-9

DH was a good sport about being my "scorekeeper" as I got out a ladder and climbed up one step to check out the lists of quilts on the fronts of my quilting notebooks.

Since I have officially closed my quilting "career" I told DH it was time to tally up the results of the years worth of effort I have put into this Clutter Room. DH chuckled over that reference because when we were planning this house and I told the architect that I wanted a Clutter Room the man got all huffy and said that he would not design such a space. He insisted that he would design a "Studio" and by golly, that's the word that he put on the floor plan.

Anyhow, here's the collection of eight quilting notebooks on the second shelf, some black, some white, scrounged as rejects from my DD's office:

And  here's the front of the very first one, with the quilt projects all very neatly listed and reflecting my librarian's soul. 

Later notebooks are not as neatly fronted with a computer printed list but they do have a list with pathetic handwriting. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

The grand total of quilts documented in those eight notebooks over 29 years is 144.

I did not document any Project Linus quilts in those notebooks.

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-9

144! that is a goodly number...twelve dozen!

That is an impressive number of quilts! 

In reply toRe: msg 25
judyinohio

Apr-9

A very good quilting friend (actually a friend of my son's) has just given me a spark of hope about my quilting "career".

I sent an email to Claudia and send her a photo of the "This is My Life" quilt, telling her I was giving my longarm to a younger quilter because of bum shoulder and other health problems. Claudia, who is an expert art quilter who enters shows in Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland, offered an amazing suggestion, one that had never entered my feeble mind. (This is a woman who has seen all of  the quilts I have made for my DS, my DDIL and my twin granddaughters, mind  you. Plus she has been to our home because her husband has family in Ohio so she has seen the quilts that I have kept for myself.)

"Why don't  you think about making smaller quilts?" writes Claudia. "My largest quilt has been 36" x 36" and many have been 12 inches square."

Well, I didn't think of making smaller quilts because I have been intimidated by the miniature quilts that are perfect replicas of classic designs .... Log Cabins and Carpenter's Wheels and Double Wedding Rings, etc. They are not the kinds of quilts I would want to make in regular size, let alone in mini size.

But prompted by Claudia's suggestion I went to Amazon and look what I found. Look at those words I highlighted in red!! A book about miniature quilts with "scrappy" and "improv" in the title!  Guess what I ordered today?

oo, I like the one on the cover!  I also think I'm going to focus on smaller quilts.  certainly we don't need any more quilts around here.  There's not a blank wall left haha.

judyinohio

Apr-9

I like the one on the cover, too.

I need another color wheel like I need another hole in my head but I can always take one down off the wall, make it into a pillow cover and then hang a new one up in its place, right?

It was so kind of Claudia to suggest another route for me ...

lppenguins

Apr-9

It’s a beautiful work of art. Smaller quilts is a great idea. Oh 

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-9

ooh... I like that cover quilt as well!

Most of my quilts are wall hangings...I have only a few full sized...and 0 king sized that I have made (have one from my Granny that is king sized).

I have quite the pile of wall hangings.

Not nearly as many as your total though!

You can keep your dab hand in making placemats, table toppers, wall hangings..