Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First Feathers   General Discussion

Started Jun-22 by judyinohio; 893 views.
judyinohio

Jun-22

At the tender age of 81 this old quilter made a small quilt that needed some feathers. There was no way to avoid doing feathers on this thing and so I wandered around on You Tube looking at various tutorials and it was quite a challenge because I needed small feathers for a small area.  (You might recall that I've given up making couch quilts and bed quilts and I'm making only smallish things now.)  Finding a tutorial that suited what I needed was not easy; there are plenty of complex feathering things out there for filling large areas with big swooping designs.

But a woman named Lauren at Bold Notions finally was the teacher I needed and so I was able to proceed with her concept of making a half heart (like a half of a valentine heart).  These are whopper-jawed feathers, lopsided feathers, flabby feathers, but then the heart in my chest these days is somewhat flabby so that makes this quilt a personal statement of sorts. wink

In years past I have draped a completed quilt over the couch in my living room for picture-taking purposes. Well, this is indeed a very small quilt, a "quiltlet" of sorts, and so when I tried to drape it on my couch it wanted to slide off. Had to prop it over a shaggy pillow to make it sit up properly. I don't think I will make another one of these because there's a lot of work involved with all of those itsy-bitsy pieces. Finished project is kinda cute, though.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-23

gosh that is cute. And you did a great job on your first feathers.

latterberry

Jun-23

I see a pyramid of kitties with angel wings.  Very cute and beautiful quilting!

Very nice!!! Your feathers really are just fine and look like feathers are supposed to look.

judyinohio

Jun-23

Thank you, Suze.  I'm happy with "cute".  wink

judyinohio

Jun-23

Thank you, Lynne. I aimed for cheerful and cute and I'm glad you see it that way.

judyinohio

Jun-23

Thank you, Ami. I was so nervous about quilting this thing and I'm glad I survived.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jun-23

Judy,

That's really pretty!  It can come live in Montana if you don't want it!

Cris in MT

very nicely done.  And I agree, you "had" to do feathers on the feathers.  the half heart is how I've gotten somewhat comfortable with feathers.

MelRN

Jun-24

They look nice, Judy!