Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Oh, that'll quilt out - no, really!   Machine Quilting Tips & Techniques

Started Jul-16 by JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt); 1090 views.

This is a category that doesn't get many posts, but I thought it was appropriate for this topic.

In no way am I a long-arm quilter, or even a good domestic machine quilter -- or any other kind of quilter for that matter.  I am still learning to use the simplest lines and designs.  BUT .............

I have committed to making a presentation at our September quilt meeting on how to do simple repairs to old quilts, and I am using an old quilt made by my Grandma to show a few different ways to mend them.  (Fortunately, I do not have to demonstrate any machine quilting.  haha)  But in my hand-out, I also want to include some links to some more advanced tips and tricks, for the ladies in the group who have a lot of experience doing long-arm quilting (for-profit or non-profit).  I am amazed at how she tamed this old quilt with her long-arm machine!  She is obviously a very experienced long-arm quilter, and I'm sure many of you will recognize her, but I did not know her before I watched this.  

The video is a bit long- a little over 35 minutes - but IMO, it is worth it when you have some time to watch it.  I saw some techniques I was not aware of until now - especially the "starch and steam" method, and her method of patching while doing the edge-to-edge quilting!  Well, get a cup of something, sit down for a break, and enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRjZxo2fWE0 

judyinohio

Jul-16

Thanks, Jonna, for sharing this video. She's a gifted teacher and I learned a lot. That hand steamer gadget she uses is really clever.

That does not mean I personally will run out tomorrow and find a vintage quilt top and go back to longarming again but her techniques are admirable and I admire what she does. Wish I had known her methods twenty years ago when I was working on wonky old quilts that I found in local antique malls because I passed up on quite a few that weren't "good enough" for me at that time.

Yes, it is not likely that I will ever have a long-arm machine, nor that I will ever tackle something this big and complicated, but I learned a lot from it too.

After I watched a few other videos of her (she does GREAT videos) - I remembered that she is the one Dee liked, who uses old quilts and linens to make big, beautiful pincushions embellished with lace and other great stuff.  Of course, she has a video class on how to do it, which costs $40 on her website:  https://createyourownvintagepincushion.thinkific.com/courses/create-your-own-vintage-pincushion   

You should also watch the video she did for Handi Quilter, where she shows how she quilts vintage hankies and other heirloom linens into gorgeous keepsakes suitable for framing or displaying.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iargJdf3y1w 

There is also this video she did in 2021 for the Kaw Valley Quilters Guild (I think that's in Kansas), in which she tells several stories about how she got started and how her quilting journey evolved.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m_iRdkDIOE 

LABFIEND

Jul-17

I bought her pincushion course, very interesting and I do intend to make some (even collected some more vintage linens!). she is very interesting to watch, but her process of cleaning her linens and laying them out on the grass in the sun to dry, doesn't work real well here, with the wind and dried up grass-LOL, even when it is green, the wind is still blowing-Hah!  but the thought is good!!

KSCarolyn

Jul-18

She says she got the vintage quilt in an antique store in Augusta, KS.  That is the antique store that we always check out when you come for a visit.

Carolyn

Yeah, and I call bogus on the chlorophyll in the grass being able to whiten the items.  LOL  Anyway, any whitening would be counter-acted by all the critters who would want to come over and lie down on it - or worse.  And how you gonna keep the birds away?  haha

I heard that, and I thought that at the time - filed it away to ask you later.  Fun!  

judyinohio

Jul-18

I thought everyone knew that sunshine is what whitens linens; look that it does to fade clothing in closets that have windows for pity's sakes.

LABFIEND

Jul-18

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

whitening would be counter-acted by all the critters who would want to come over and lie down on it - or worse.  And how you gonna keep the birds away?  haha  

Exactly!  and the wind, the wind!!  Would be in the next county here!!

LABFIEND

Jul-18

KSCarolyn said:

She says she got the vintage quilt in an antique store in Augusta, KS.  That is the antique store that we always check out when you come for a visit.

Ha!  Maybe we looked at it and didn't buy it-LOL!!