Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

better late than never - enjoying FW   General Discussion

Started Sep-6 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 649 views.

after the giant glob of grease I dislodged in my big machine, I decided it needed to be serviced.  So which machine to use while the big one is in the shop?  I decided to give my featherweight another try.  I got an LED light bulb & a new footpedal, but haven't really sewn with them.  So that's what I did this yesterday.  Part way through I decided I should oil it and went on line to find directions.  Now it's oiled and I've ordered some grease & cleaning tools.  It was humming along very nicely last night.  I feel silly that I was kind of afraid of it for so long.  I plan to bring her with my to my next sew day or retreat.

judyinohio

Sep-6

Welcome to the "oldies but goodies club" Dee.

The vintage Singers were built to last forever (and to be maintained by the housewife who lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere) so I am sure your old beauty will bring you years of joy now that you have given her a try.

My only "regret" if you can call it that is that I wish my Cecil Faye had an odometer so I could tell how many miles she had on her.

latterberry

Sep-6

I'm so glad you are enjoying your little FW!  I got one of mine out to play a week or so ago and have put several miles on her. They really are sweet little machines.  I have gone here    https://singer-featherweight.com/ for ordering things and any little hints or lessons.  It's a very good site. And--they sure are a lot easier to haul around.  

that is the site ordered from, also I used for the oiling instructions.  Also have ordered new bobbins, & LED light from them.

I love using my little featherweight! Glad you finally jumped in and gave her a try!!!

latterberry

Sep-6

When your order comes, the package is usually tied with ricrac. I got and  LED light too and it is nice.  I did have trouble changing the bulb on mine an had to order this rubber tube type thing to get one in and out and it woks like a charm.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Sep-7

What fun for YOU!  I am so pleased your little doll didn't cause you any issues.  They really are designed to be maintained easily.  And when all the adjustments are adjusted for each machine they sew such a beautiful stitch!!

My 12 1/2 year old grandson has been using my FW here for the last year, he knows how to oil it and when. So I let him take it home with him. He sews daily  on it. He’s made pillows for his sister, now he has started  9 patch  squares to make a quilt for her! I’m so proud of his progress. 

viola (sissly4)

Sep-8

Sandy that is wonderful for your grandson that want to learn to sew. I love to go in fabric store and  see men in there shopping for there self.

Yes I was excited about giving him the Featherweight. He has used it here long enough that I trust him with it at home.  I hope you’re doing well.