Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fusibles   General Discussion

Started Sep-21 by sueinIL; 445 views.
sueinIL

Sep-21

OK, I can probably count on one hand the times I have used fusibles in making quilts or wall hangings.

I have Pellon 805 and HeatnBond Lite.  Which one do I use to adhere a Christmas tree to a background?

I'd prefer not to have to sew the pieces down.  This will be in a wall hanging, and probably never washed.

Thanks for your advice,

Sue in IL

Contraryqltr

Sep-22

Hi Sue,

I haven't done applique in quite a while, but when I did, I used Steam A Seam.  There was a time when Steam A Seam was not available for some reason.  During that time, I used the Heat and Bond light.  I've never used Pellon. 

I've done it two ways.  One way was to just lightly adhere the shape to the sticky side of the fusible, trim around all edges, then just fuse it on without stitching.  I've also used a woven(?) product where I sewed the right side of the shape to the sticky side of the woven product, sewing it in place, then cutting a slit in the back of the woven and turning the whole thing right side out and then fusing it down. 

Hope that made sense.  I did do a stitch all the way around the shape using invisible thread.

Mary in Michigan

sueinIL

Sep-22

Thank you, Mary!  I think I'll audition each of them and see which sticks better without sewing down.  I have a darling pattern for a wall hanging that shows a Christmas tree bending down to hold its star over the baby Jesus in the manger. None of it is pieced until you put on an inner border an an outer border--top and bottom--of stars.

Thank you for your response!

Sue in IL

Contraryqltr

Sep-23

You're welcome!  I think I've seen that pattern and its adorable.  Post a pic when you are done if you can.

Mary in Michigan

CC (ccase5)

Sep-23

I also use a teflon pressing sheet when using any fusible. keeps your iron safe!
sueinIL

Sep-25

OK, I have one of those. I probably would get adhesive on my iron!

Thanks for the reminder!

Sue in IL