Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The most infuriating simple block in all of quiltdom   General Discussion

Started Nov-2 by sueinIL; 772 views.
sueinIL

Nov-2

I am having to make 128 4-patches, 128 HSTs, and 128 triangle in a squares.  I am having to think through every triangle in a square that I make.  I pin, I've drawn sewing lines, I have even watched the Trii-Recs tutorial!  This one little 3 1/2" block is maddening!  And I'm not getting any better at them the more I do!

Sue in IL

How about foundation paper piecing?  I bet you could make those without so much grief and anguish.  Just an idea. Good luck!  

sueinIL

Nov-2

It's a very good idea! I have all the pieces cut already, but I'll see if I can put some tissue or something behind them. I haven't done PP before, but that sounds like a way to get the correct size block.  Thank you!

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Nov-2

Paper piecing can seem backwards sometimes, so watch some videos on doing it. precise it is though.
bornblesse2

Nov-3

Sue, when you say triangle in a square….I’m not sure what you are making?  Are you doing a square framed with triangles?  ( I am used to that being called a square in a square….)

If I had a picture of the unit you are trying to make, I might be able to offer help….

I'm not sure, but I think she may be talking about those Tri-Recs blocks - or what the late Doreen Speckmann used to call "Peaky and Spike."  

bornblesse2

Nov-3

Oh,  those can be difficult to get square!  Hummmm……been a long time since I made one.

sueinIL

Nov-3

I'm using a Tri-Recs ruler set to make these little blocks.  The middle is a triangle flanked by two 
'wings."  The wings are basically half of the middle triangle.  When they're attached correctly they frame the center triangle and make a square.  There are lots of tutorials on Pinterest for those rulers.  The larger block that these are a part of is called "54-40 or Fight". The design overall has a rounded look when there are only straight lines, The 4-patches were no problem, nor were the hsts.  But this little bugger is a real pain.

Sue in IL

sueinIL

Nov-3

Yep, you're right. I keep thinking these should be so easy to do, but they're NOT!

Sue in IL

MelRN

Nov-3

They were SO much easier paper pieced. That's my opinion