Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1921291 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/31/20

I found one of my husband's ancestors fought with General Sherman during his March to the Sea through Georgia .  THAT was wildly exciting to discover!

I haven't thoroughly researched the Revolutionary War service yet but I *have* discovered a link so that my girls can apply to the Daughters of the Revolution  (DAR).  Our youngest is a HUGE history need.

latterberry

10/31/20

I was uncertain about the thru lines so I didn't really look at them until I had done research on my own and it was nice to see that some did match up with what I had found. This is no easy task!  

latterberry

10/31/20

Wow!  That IS exciting!  Seems like most of my ancestors came over from Germany and England and settled in VA,PA, and KY.  For the past 3 years I have been taking solo trips out that way and even went through a town one of my ancestors lived in.  Wonder if it's my roots calling me?

KSCarolyn

10/31/20

Just so you know, the retreat invitation has been posted.

Carolyn

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/31/20

latterberry said:

even went through a town one of my ancestors lived in.

If you do those trips again, have a list of addresses (if possible) of where they lived.  Take a picture of the address as it is today, then try to find pictures online of past photos.  I did that with the homes that Mr. Pirate's maternal grandparents & mother lived in.  It was interesting to see then vs now.  :-)

judyinohio

10/31/20

I've done that with all the apartment buildings my parents lived in after WWII as they moved around with little Judy in the 1940s and 1950s as my Dad's career with his company progressed. 

My mother had kept a diary of all the addresses where they lived. You can do a lot with Google Street View these days.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

10/31/20

Lynne - as I was looking for something else, I literally stumbled across this video from a knowledgeable Ancestry.com person on tips for finding a woman's maiden name.  I found it *fascinating* .... but them I'm easily amused.   Since you're just starting out, you might find it helpful.

https://youtu.be/q0-8FY9mkIQ

You and Shelley might get a kick out of this -- Tangentially related to genealogy:  This photo of me (wearing shades) and my brother and sister - taken in Spring 2019 during a family history tour of certain sites in Georgia.  Besides being a silly photo of us swatting at all the gnats that were tormenting us, this just goes to show that headstones sometimes can have "typos".  This headstone of a distant cousin should say HALIFAX County instead of HALIFAF.  Hah!   This was taken in the Mountaintown Baptist Church Cemetery in Ellijay, GA (Gilmer County).     This also brings up another point.  If you are looking for information from a specific place, contact the local genealogical society or historical society or whatever they have.  We actually were fortunate enough to have other distant cousins who showed us gravesites in several local cemeteries, and told us about the Gilmer County Genealogical Society, where we found out that we qualified as members of the "First Families" of Gilmer County because of our ancestral connections there.  My brother and nephew are doing most of the legwork, but they offered to teach us what they had learned.  (My brother claims to have traced our lineage back to Edward I (Edward Longshanks).  But I don't know.)  :o)    

judyinohio

10/31/20

Jonna, it's a joke in the British Isles that anyone of a well established lineage is descended from Edward I because he was, ahem, a rather prolific breeder (to put it politely). He had a lot of legitimate children and a lot of the other kind as well. (Again, putting it politely.)