Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1885267 views.
judyinohio

Jul-26

Jo, sometimes old people just get tired.

Tired of taking pills, tired of waking up in the morning and not feeling rested and tired of facing another day of aches and pains and of food being tasteless  ... 

And I'm described how I feel and I'm only 80 years old.  LOL  I dread thinking what I will feel like in another ten years.

Just had my first Medicare Wellness exam with my GP last week and the youngster (probably age 50 or 55) told me that I'm "very bright" for someone who is 80. I told him it's because I have to be because I take care of my DH, I play Scrabble with a couple of friends twice a month and I have quilts I have to finish. He chuckled.

Perhaps you need to find an assisted living place for this 90 year old person you are concerned about. No matter how much the person objects if he/she isn't drinking enough fluids the person will surely go into serious kidney failure and that's a downward spiral for sure.

judyinohio

Jul-26

Absolutely 100% correct. 

I am living at my 25th address and I have "bloomed" in many places.  Just call me Weedy Judy, no matter how rocky the garden patch, I survived.

We got here safe and everything got unaided. Just need to return U-haul today.

Midkid5

Jul-26

Unfortunately the assisted living residents are crap in the small town where this individual lives.  No structured  activities, no arranged outings  etc. unless there is a spouse who doesn't need assisted living using your own vehicle is frowned on very heavily.

Its just with this summers temps being so much hotter than normal extra watering would be good for all of us, especially the mature variety.

Jo

judyinohio

Jul-26

Jo, I'd like to offer an idea based on personal experience.

When it was time for my DF to consider moving into assisted living (after two hospitalizations at age 83 in one year) he not only changed his Zip Code, he changed his state, from Florida to Ohio.

There is no hard and fast rule that a person has to stay "planted" in a community where he or she has lived for decades (and where the senior citizen facilities are "crap") if the person has the resources to pack up and "get out of Dodge" as the old saying goes.

My DF  had the resources and he (who hated cold winters with a passion) decided it was time to skedaddle out of Florida just because it was time to be near his darling daughter (and her spouse and kids).  wink

Is this relocation idea reasonable for your 90 year old person to consider?

Midkid5

Jul-26

Judy, I would have liked things to have been done differently when this lady needed to move off her farm eight years ago but.......

I also commented that I didn't want her ever to be put in the town nursing home as it is one of the worst in the state.  The response was something to the extent that by than it would have a new director so everything would be better.

I'm not in charge, so I tread lightly.  Enough said.

Thank you for your thoughts

Jo

Might she qualify for some kind of "visiting nurse" program, just to check up on her at least once a day and remind her to take her meds, drink some water, etc.?  Or, does she belong to a local church who might check on her every day or so?  

Midkid5

Jul-26

She has people that check on her daily, she has no trouble remembering to take her meds.  I just believe if she drank more water things would be better in a lot of areas / ways.

Jo

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jul-26

Jo, you are such a kind, caring person -- a good example for me to follow.

Cris in MT