Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Valley of the Sun Quilters   Off-Topic Chat

Started 8/20/15 by KSCarolyn; 1887502 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-29

We got rid of tons of stuff in preparation to move to smaller house.  Bob doesn't hoard stuff.  I tend to keep more.  They did the garage while I was working so I don't know how much the threw away or took to the thrift shop.  That is probably best.  Then we got rid of the "why did we move that here" stuff when we moved in.  It has been almost 3 years and I'm cleaning out closets, etc. and letting go of the things I have not used in the 3 years.  MY closet is almost done and is now a pleasure to look at.blush  That makes me want to keep going on purging more.

I knew that I had a LOT of sewing stuff (notions and such) that I never use, and extra pairs of scissors, pinking shears, old rotary cutters, etc.  Not to mention boxes of miscellaneous craft stuff that I once had plans for.  My plan is to condense them down to a small 3-drawer unit for "notions."  And I pulled out a box the other day to see what it was and unpack it - it was so heavy!  What do you think it was?  A bunch of old sewing patterns for CLOTHING, 99% of which have never been used.  Guess what is the first thing to go into the next Goodwill load?  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

I've been SLOWLY purging and clearing out.   Last summer, I finally got Mr Pirate to work on the garage with me.  And it got done.  Woo hoo!

This is a round-about story but it does tie in with purging!
This week, Lisa (our middle daughter, who lives in NYC) is out here for a visit.  She is learning how to sew.  That's been an interesting journey ... she wasn't interested when she was growing up and LIVING here, so now she is looking at YouTube videos.  Once, we even had a Zoom video going on.  :-)  She's doing well; it helps that she is on speaking terms with some sewing activities and terminology.  :-)    It turns out that NOW (as in current times), "retro" is on-trend.  And by "retro", I mean styles from the 1990s.   (oy vey!)

Because I tend to save things that "could" be used again, I have almost every doggone pattern that I ever bought.  Some are still brand new, as I never got around to using them.  :-)   I have patterns from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and beyond.  Lisa was thrilled to be able to look through actual "retro" patterns and not reproductions!   LOL!   She will be taking several back to NYC with her.  She is thrilled beyond belief to be in possession of sewing patterns that her mother once owned and (might have) used.

As she was going through the patterns, I would have a running commentary ... oh, I remember that dress!  I wore it at <event>.   Oh, I remember that top.  It was very easy.    Sometimes I even still HAD the garment that I had made.  Sadly, like the actual clothes in my closet, the pattern sizing seems to have shrunk (obviously, due to the high humidity here in California!  LOL!) and there is no way, José. that most of those patterns will ever fit me again.   (At that time, patterns were sold in single sizes.  If I ever DID want to make the pattern, I'd have some serious grading to do ... and I'm much too lazy to do that.)    

So, when I mentioned that I had a garment made from a pattern, her eyes lit up.  She wanted to see those garments.  I think in the back of her mind, she was thinking that if they fit her, she'd take the garments, too.   Heh ... her taste in fabrics & colors don't match mine.  Anyway, years ago, I had organized my clothing (that didn't fit any more ... due to that danged humidity, doncha know) and bagged them up.  Hope was springing eternal that eventually, at some point, maybe, I'd lose some weight and be able to wear them again.  Cuz .. hey! ... I still liked those garments!   But reality has set in and I sadly realize that I am just never going to get down to a weight where those garments will fit me again.

Most of those too-small garments are now going to the thrift store.  I still saved SOME of them ...mainly the garments that I had photos of me wearing it.   I have visions of my daughters going through my stuff, years from now, saying, "Wow .... here's the actual garment that Mom wore in this photo!".  You know .. kinda like a museum piece!  LOL!

It was with some sadness that I have bundled up those clothing items.  I still remember me wearing them.  There is some residual sentimental value .. but ... off it goes.   And another shelf is emptied.   To be sure there is a lot more things to be purged and eventually, I will get around to them.  Some day.  :-)

judyinohio

Jul-29

You certainly tell a good story ...

So, did she end up taking any of the actual garments with her?  Or any of the patterns?  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

and talking about retro .... you and almost everyone else here .. will appreciate this photo.  It came across my FaceBook feed and is one of the more truthful things I've seen there.  Any one of these girls could have been me.   Long hair, center part, hip-hugger jeans, skinny top.  That was certainly the de facto "uniform" of the day.  Or else it would have been mini skirts.  :-)   [Now for you, since you are slightly older than I am, poodle skirts might have been the "uniform"?   That was a bit before my time.]

I showed it to Mr. Pirate and he agreed ... that is exactly what the girls looked like in the late 1960s & 1970s.  I showed it to Lisa, too.

The thought has occurred to me, which is a truism no matter what the timeframe is ... kids have absolutely NO friggin' idea what their parents' childhood was like or (probably) what their parents even looked like as the parents grew up.   Parents are always OLD.  Grandparents are always ANCIENT.  But parents and grandparents were once young and slim and cute, too.  (Some have exceptional genes are remain that way!)    [As I construct my heritage photo scrapbook albums, I am struck by how *attractive* my ancestor/relatives were.  My Mom always looked like a farm-fresh school girl.  My Dad was one good-lookin' dude.   My paternal grandparents, when young (in the early 1900s), while not wildly attractive, were certainly pleasing to look at.  Obviously, I never knew them to look like that.  :-)

*I* remember me looking like the girls in the photo.   I remember Mr Pirate being all slim, when we first met.  I was even reasonably slim up through my 40s ... but then then, my girls were too young to have my appearance even register with them.

It would do our kids good to ponder the fact that we (the parents) were young once and may have looked much, much cooler than we do now.   We even had Interesting Lives before they arrived.   :-)

May be a black-and-white image of 4 people, people standing and text that says 'Dear kids, This is what your grandmas looked like in the 70s.'

judyinohio

Jul-29

Yeah, I had a waist, once upon a time. 

And my DH had hair ...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-29

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

So, did she end up taking any of the actual garments with her?  Or any of the patterns?  

No, to the garments.  Not her taste in fabric or colors.   Somehow she doesn't like batiks.  How could that possibly be?????   But, since she is now actively engaged in constructing garments, she inspected mine with great interest and was able to appreciate the details that I put into them.

Yes, to the patterns.  I think she is taking about 6-8 of them.  (Out of, maybe, 100 or so?)

Do you remember Gunne Sax dresses?   I have one .. pale blue voile with white lace.  It has long sleeves with a big, buttoned cuff and a fantastic Queen Anne neckline.  I wore it to a wedding.  It is gorgeous.  It's kinda like a princess dress.  I know I certainly felt special when I wore it.

Well, my girls can't wear it.  I can't zip it up, as their shoulders/upper back is **too broad** for the dress.  *Those* genetics come from Mr. Pirate.  They were very disappointed.

It was *similar* to this but think in pale blue.   Gosh I loved that dress.   I still have it.  :-)

70s Gunne Sax Wedding Dress Dead Stock Sz 3 70&#39;s | Etsy

I have seen that photo go around Facebook and yes that could me me, long hair parted down the middle, bell bottom hip hugger jeans. The car they are leaning against would have been pretty new a late 60' model maybe.

Oh, I do remember Gunne Sax, but I didn't have any of those dresses.  However, we DID wear the "granny" dresses and glasses and tried to be all hippie-like.  In reality, I was FAR from a real hippie.  LOL  I tried to run away from home one time, but didn't get very far.  haha  As for that photo, that is what I only WISHED I looked like in the 60s and 70s.  My hair would NEVER do that -- much too voluminous and wavy.  It would never part straight down the middle and hang down straight.  I was always trying to make it do that, but no luck.  LOL  

But back to those Gunne Sax dresses.  There was a time in the early 1970s where many bridesmaids wore this type of outfit.  (Nobody I know; random photo from Googling.)  Remember those big floppy hats?  When I went off to college at Texas Tech in 1972-74, a group of us girls in the dorm all had dresses and hats like this - either from being bridesmaids or whatever - AND the big floppy hats.  I remember all of us going to church on Easter and trooping around in these outfits - even went out to eat after church.  We certainly did look festive.  But no doubt about it, we just looked like a big ol' group of former bridesmaids.  Hah!