Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 406758 views.
judyinohio

12/5/17

Judy's Rule For California Forum Members:  You may have only one "Forever Project"  per decade.

(I just made that up but it seems perfectly sensible to this midwesterner.)

I feel for you. I guess that is why it is a forever project. One of my retreat projects will be putting together my tree of life quilts. Once the top is completed I will do a winding vine around the outside with leaves. I will likely be hating leaves too at some point.

On the other hand your quilt will be amazing once finished.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

12/5/17

judyinohio said:

Judy's Rule For California Forum Members:  You may have only one "Forever Project"  per decade. (I just made that up but it seems perfectly sensible to this midwesterner.)

Hmmm.     My very first Forever Project took 10 years.   That was ..ummm... 20 years ago.  I've had several Forever Projects since then.  Some have taken "less than" Forever. :-)   

If we use a decade based on Jupiter's annual numbers, I'm doing pretty good. 

But, since I have been known to bend a few rules over the years, I summarily reject your new rule.  Which as Capt Jack Sparrow (a personal hero of mine.  I'm sure we must be related)  has observed, are only "guidelines".  :-)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

12/5/17

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

On the other hand your quilt will be amazing once finished.

"Hope Springs Eternal"  :-)

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

12/5/17

re leaves, that brings back memories.... when they were done I almost missed doing them, I had gotten into a rhythm and they were kind of like an old boring annoying friend, but a friend none the less.  I occasionally run across one of those leaves in my scrap bin, years later.  I remember the hand piecing took a year, the applique leaves took a year and the hand quilting took a year.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

12/5/17

I am still working on the corner stones for DD's red and white quilt.  I have two left.  And then I don't have a handwork project.  Well, technically I do, one I started before the red & white but I didn't like how it was turning out so I stopped.  Maybe I'll get some new inspiration now a couple of years later.

Pulling out a project you have put away for some time and looking at it as a "new" project is always good. You can have some fresh ideas and go a new direction or you could fall in love with the origional plan and be happy to work on it again.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

12/5/17

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

and the hand quilting took a year.

HAND QUILTED, TOO?!?!?!?   Omg, Dee, you are the quintessential over-achiever!

I don't DO hand quilting.  I don't have the patience for it.

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

12/5/17

Hand quilting the applique section was very enjoyable, but the pieced blocks were torture, the seams were awful. And so was my quilting.  I choose my hand quilting projects more carefully now, only nice open spaces.

bornblesse2

12/6/17

Here is the shop sample I just finished!  Headed to the shop to deliver it and get some fabrics for the January quilt that I will be teaching!   Good thing it is easy!