Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 478877 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

2/27/19

Lynne, she's been there about 5 years.  At first it was difficult because she didn't have a social network .. it was just a concentrated summer course.   The students came from all over and would disperse upon completion of the course.  After she found a job upon finishing the classes, she moved a couple of times, which of course disrupts any acquaintanceships she might have formed where she was living.

But, as she's been in this place for "longer", her social network has been expanding so that living there is becoming "better".   She able to do more social things and that makes living there more enjoyable.

Her job is being a literary agent .. the liaison between an author and a publishing house.  She mentors and encourages authors to improve their manuscripts to be more cohesive and sellable.  Apparently, the hub for *that* kind of a job is NYC, although if she had a stable of authors that were "hers", she could theoretically be based anywhere.  She could then take those authors and get hired by some other literary agency .. or be an independent contractor ... or find an agency that would allow her to work remotely.   But that kind of a scenario takes a very long time to accumulate authors to present to another agency as why she should be hired.  Being an independent contractor is even more scarey.

So, for the foreseeable future, she'll be in NYC, although it does present its logistical problems when she wants to come back here for holidays or visits.  It's not like she can just pop over for the weekend.  Well, she *could* but jet lag is horrible and the flights are long.

xstchr

3/6/19

Just finished my guild challenge quilt.  I call it: The Garden Wall.  Had to use colors from a paint strip.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

3/6/19

that is absolutely beautiful!

latterberry

3/6/19

Wow! That s one amazing quilt!  You should win the challenge.

judyinohio

3/6/19

What an interesting challenge!  Were all of you given the same paint strip or were you allowed to pick out your own paint strip at a store? 

How clever of you to come up with that design!  I agree with Lynne ... you have a winner there.

Suze (casuzenn)

3/6/19

oooh...really really like it...the dimensional flowers are just the right touch!

xstchr

3/6/19

We picked a bag that had the strip in it, so it was a blind draw.  I was lucky to get the colors I got.  It was difficult to find the lightest colors.

thank you for your comments.

xstchr

3/6/19

I’m in charge of our Guild Sit and Sew.  I’m teaching them the blocks for a mystery Quilt this year.  It’s my modern version of the Antique Wedding Quilt.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

3/6/19

xstchr said:

Just finished my guild challenge quilt

Very nice!  Love how you used the color.

Love your challenge piece.