Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 387510 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-15

I've returned to a needleturn applique Forever Project that I started in February 2021, just before the Retreat.  It's called A Gathering and is designed by Barbara Persing.  At 45"x57", I consider this a personal throw size and a little small for my tastes (I don't need any more personal throws.  Oh hush up, all of you.  I know I don't NEED any more regular sized quilts, either!  Y'all sound like Mr. Pirate!)

This is the pattern: 

My intent is to double the width by repeating the quail appliques.  Since they are all independent, I don't think this will be difficult.  And then add enough rows to give me the length I want.

That's the PLAN, anyway.  :-)

Since I need to trace the outline of the birds onto the background fabric, I had previously purchased a small lightbox.  Only, I'm cheap .. er, frugal.  :-)   I found a kid's LED light box that has turned out to work exceptionally well.  It's lit by LED lights, is nicely thin and weighs less than 2 lbs.  It has turned out to be very convenient, especially when I'm working at night and can't use a window for my light box. :-)

And here's my progress to date.  Only 2 birds so far but now that the hexie itch is out of my system (for now), I'm finding working on the birds quite satisfying.  I've pulled all of my hand-dyed fabrics and batiks for this project.   

I've been scrutinizing the pattern cover photo to see why it looks so attractive.  I've realized that the designer has consistently used lots of black/white prints  for various pieces of the birds, as well as using the black/white prints for all of the eggs.  The pops of color on the birds make it interesting  without being overwhelming.  Also all the top knots look to be the same fabric, as well as the feet (again, consistency).  

Sadly, this little bit of wisdom came AFTER I had already stitched the first two birds .... no black/white prints anywhere to be seen on them.   I had already decided to use the same fabric for the feet but the top knots are different.  Hmmm.  Maybe I can use just those two fabrics for consistent top knots.  Ah well ... they will be the oddballs.  :-)   I do have a nice stash of black/white prints that I can pull out for the eggs, though.  I'll need to see if they are a properly scaled print.

Here is my 2 bird progress:

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-15

In addition to a Forever Project that is always on-going (and may or may not be taken on road trips), I also like to have a "road trip" hand project.  Push come to shove, I can always read an ebook while we're on the road .. and I certainly have done that ... but I like being productive.  Road trips take an awfully long time!  :-)

Y'all may remember my recent failure of a hexie project where I stitched 4 hexies into a "diamond" shape.  While I eventually worked out a project for them (that top is done!), I had a bunch of the diamond units leftover.  A crafty friend of mine claimed some of them, with my permission. 

I was then organizing the rest of the diamond units into color families.  Then, it hit me.  Hmmmm.   What if I smooshed all the diamond units together *in color families* so that the result would be more of a color-blocked effect, rather than the dismal random that I had before?  The trial looked kinda intriguing, so that's what I'm going to do with the leftovers .... and make more as needed.    It is possible that I gave away those other diamond units too soon.  LOL!   Not to worry, I have LOTS of fabric to use to make more!

So, I have bundled what I have into a project box, which has been labeled as my 'road trip' hexie project.  Whenever we go on trips, I'll take THIS project with me instead of whatever else I'm working on at home.   I'm not as fixated on hexies at the moment, so it's not a temptation for me, either. :-)

Here's the trial run that is simply put together, unsewn, on the table top:

I've found some more 2.5" squares in the black/gray family, so once they've been done up as diamond units, I'll be rearranging that color.

Suze (casuzenn)

Apr-16

Cute quails!

I have one of those kids light pads... very useful. My big light box doesn't get used much anymore

Both projects look really nice. I love how you describe the black tying all the birds together.

Love the hexis color grouped too. I love colorgraded quilts.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Apr-17

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

It's called A Gathering

That is an adorable pattern.  I know you will do it justice.  We have lots of quail in the neighborhood.  I've been known to stop in the middle of the street to watch them waddle across, mama and several little ones.  Wouldn't want them to be harmed.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Apr-19

Here's the progress so far on A Gathering of Quails.   The middle chick still needs a wing.  The right hand chick looks oversized cuz it has been prepped for needleturn but the seam allowances haven't been tucked under yet.

judyinohio

Apr-19

That flock of birds is going to be adorable.

Adorable! Looks like Mom, Dad, and the kids. 

LindaPutt

Apr-19

Love this!  It's going to be an adorable quilt 

I started quilting on my reverse applique table topper. I was worried that the poly thread would shred but it is not at all. Also easier to bury the knots. Only complaint is quilting on batik, a little harder to get the needle through that tight woven fabric. I had to get a thumb cot out, I could not get a grip on the needle to pull it through.