Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 412989 views.

love it so far.  What about adding some rows/borders of pieced blocks?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

What about adding some rows/borders of pieced blocks?

The existing pattern calls for a narrow ("stop") border which is unquilted and then a very nice wider border in plain fabric that they have done exceptionally nice linear quilting.  It looks great.  See the photo below; that is the pattern cover.

If I add another 8" border, it will need to coordinate with what is there.

Hmmmm.... I do like the idea of replacing their original quilted outer border with a pieced border, although I was thinking more along the lines of another appliqued border .. leaves on a vine?  and have my final outer border have their linear quilting.  I'll need to mull over the idea of the pieced border in terms of what would work.  My brain isn't so exceptionally creative these days.

I like mixing applique & pieced blocks, not sure why I just do.  since you said you want this to be a larger quilt, you could split up the rows of birds among other blocks - but it would significantly change the look of the quilt.  I guess it really depends on what it is you like about the quilt, if it's the gathering of birds, what I was thinking of wouldn't be what you want.

I think it would look great as a wall quilt!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-12

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

I think it would look great as a wall quilt!

yeah, but I don't have any more wall space!  :-)

That's one thing I like about Edyta Sitar - she mixes up piecing and applique, and she also mixes all kinds of fabrics - yarn dyed, cotton prints, batiks.  But her quilts all look so perfect because everything works together.  

latterberry

May-13

I saw this on Pintrest for a border idea.  Your little quail are just darling!

MelRN

May-13

Hahah! I think Pirate has one every year or two, but they always look amazing and are SO well put together :) 

Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-13

bornblesse2 said:

wish me gumption and luck!

I know how you feel.  My sewing room feels so much better now that I have reorganized.  There is still more to do but I'm working at it.  Moved out 4 more charity quilts Monday to the church group and 2 of the ladies came over and we tied 2 more scrap tops.  One of them took them home to bind.  Now working on the first of the 3 t-shirt quilts for my nieces and nephew from my brothers t-shirts and hockey jerseys.  Last weekend Bob helped me get things together to mount the design wall on the wall.  It really helps for this kind of quilt.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-13

Love your beads quilt and the border fabric.  Stonehenge is a great line of fabric.  I plan to do a quilt using the beads pattern but it will have to wait.  I have to make 3 t-shirt quilts and then finish some other projects before I allow myself to start something new.