Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 447214 views.
judyinohio

Jun-21

Please explain your "Dawn soak" procedure.

I will assume it involves Dawn detergent but with cold water? Warm water? How long?

very hot water.  the idea is to lift the excess dye out and suspend it.  Here is the blog post where I learned about it.  I've used it several times now, even saved a quilt that had bled years ago. 

https://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save-my-bleeding-quilt.html#/

I now use this method with yardage if I am worried about it bleeding (those hand dyes you sent me a few years ago).  I don't tend to do it with novelty prints unless it looks exceptionally questionable.  I did it with the B&W quilt because I didn't know if the noodles I was given had been prewashed.  I'm guessing they were not.

Dee that dawn soak is amazing............you would not think that there would be so much dye bleeding out of stuff till you see it. 

Love your scrappy binding!

Midkid5

Jun-21

Since I prewash all yardage on hot water I have found that a few drops of Dawn with regular laundry soap takes care of almost all bleeding.  If I happen to use a precut just wash the quilt with a few drops of Dawn has also taken care of any bleeding for me.

Jo

The dawn soak site by Vicki has been around for years. I actually found it on about.com quilting some years back when a bunch of us were dyeing our own fabrics. Vicki has a great business selling her dyed fabric. I have used the dawn soak over the years and it has saved more than one quilt. Other quilters have done the same. You may want to go over to her site and check it out. 

I put the rows for this on the design wall before I sewed them together to check for errors in layout.  I guess I didn't look at it long enough.  I found one last night as I was sitting on the floor brushing the cat. At least it is only one block to turn. and thank goodness I found it before it was quilted,

Ok found it! Now I can't unsee it LOL. At least it is a small component.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-22

ohh...one upside down...

I can't unsee it either! 

I knew there was a risk one would get flipped or out of place - that was why I put it up before sewing the rows together.  I should have left it up there longer, I kind of had to see it out the corner of my eye.  fortunately it was just one little block to flip - not bad out of all the blocks.  There is also one pinwheel where I don't like the fabric, the llamas are too large and you lose the contrast with the adjacent blocks.  It doesn't read enough like a single color.  But fixing that one would mean changing 4 blocks and I don't think it's worth it.  especially as this is likely to be a donation quilt.  I may changed my mind when it comes time to quilt it but for now it is aging in the closet.

The pattern was kind of fun, but sort of fiddly.  I sewed about a dozen rectangles with the white on the wrong corners - those went in the scrap bin.  And I had to label every block carefully and sew them carefully (though I missed one of them).  might be easier if you only had maybe a dozen fabrics.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-22

Would come out so scrambled if I tried it!!

I would leave the llamas...