Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 505719 views.
Midkid5

Jul-1

Well I have been doing some sewing for granddaughters mostly shorts.  After I got your package I did some decluttering in the sewing room that has helped, probably would of done some strip sewing the other day but was to lazy to change out the jersey needle.

Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of something else that my creativity has been focused on.

Jo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-2

A few days ago, I finished a UFO.  For quite a while (like Dee), I have wanted to do a reverse applique project.  In 2019, I found one that was designed to be a SMALL project, like 12x12 finished.  But, I couldn't let well enough alone.  :-)  I enjoyed the project, but don't feel the need to repeat it.  I consider this box checked off.

I made a long, narrow applique, which when I was done, I had no idea what to do with it.  A throw pillow came to mind, but I honestly didn't want another one.  Mr. Pirate has already "commented" on how many I have on the couches.  So, I let it hang on my design wall for a while.  A crafty friend was visiting and commented how pretty it was and  how much she liked it.  I told her she could have it.  *I* certainly didn't have any idea for it!  She said it would look so pretty as a table runner.  What an excellent idea!

So, I loaded it onto the longarm, quilted it with some curvy feathers along the perimeter but was stumped as to how to quilt the reverse applique portion.  Ami to the rescue!  :-)   She and I talked for a bit and we hit upon the idea of doing a SITD just inside each applique and also quilting "ghost wings" around the butterflies.  I must say that it turned out better than I thought.  The only real part that I wasn't thrilled about was the binding ... I didn't have any of the background fabric at all and nothing in my stash was really terrific.  In the end, I used a bland green mottled batik.  My friend was thrilled with it.   I'm so glad  (that I don't have this project hanging around my house!)  :-)

The pattern is "In a Word For the Love of Applique - Beauty" by Jill Rixman.  It can be found at http://www.artfullyapplique.com/product/pina04-beauty

Here's the finished piece.  It is 15"x44"  The quilting was done in a pale green thread that blends into the background fabric, so what you see is the texture .. until you take a closer look.   After the reverse appliques were done, I did a freeform, wavy hand-embroidered chain stitch around everything.  Then I put standard applique flowers, berries, and leaves around the chain stitch vine.

Here's a close-up of the perimeter quilting .... each quadrant has this curvy feather and double-line beadboard.

Here's a close-up of the quilting around the butterflies.  I used about 3-4 different butterfly wing outlines, also done in the pale green thread.  The SITD on the inside of the butterflies was done in clear monopoly thread.

latterberry

Jul-2

Amazing little quilt!  What a lucky friend you have.

Midkid5

Jul-2

Very pretty, glad you were to find something to make it into and gift it to someone who will appreciate and enjoy it.

Jo

That came out really nicely! I am glad that I was able to help with some ideas that you were able to use. It is nice to have things finished and great to send them off to a home where they will be loved.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-2

Well, the border looks great.  Sounds like it was an easier process than I imagined.   Didn't that process waste some of your background fabric?(the part you trimmed off)

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-2

That is true but they were just small pieces that wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-10

Oh my, your Pheasants project turned out wonderfully.  I sure enjoy how you write up a project and explain how you needed to "adjust" the plan along your journey.  Thanks.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-11

Judy, your quilt is just delightful and so cheerful.  Well done!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jul-11

My goodness your table runner is just lovely.  The quilting is wonderful.