Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 477395 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-31

When the visual clutter rises to a certain level and exceeds my (exceptionally high) threshold,  I feel compelled to reorganize or purge or move things around.  Typically, I end up "losing" things because I've put them someplace else where it seems more reasonable, even though I know I'm going to be looking in the old spot until I retrain my memory.  :-)

Unfortunately (you knew that was coming, right?), in order to clear out item A and put in location X, I need to first create some space at location X, which means I need to move the items currently at location X.  It's a cascading event.

This time, I was looking at the Featherweight in a crate/cubby/box underneath my sewing/cutting table.  It's very visible when you enter the room.  For whatever reason, it now annoys me.  I want to put the Featherweight & its accessories on a bookshelf where it will look "neater".  There *is* a spot on the bottom shelf of a bookcase that is a good possibility but that spot is currently being occupied by a crate labeled "Fleece for Backings".

OK ... looking at the contents, there are 4 pieces of fleece ... all different sizes, of course.  One is a ready-to-use fleece throw that I think I bought for $5.  Can't beat that for 45"x60".   The other pieces are fleece yardage that could have been leftovers from a bigger piece or yardage that I bought on sale "because it was such a good deal".

I brought all 4 pieces into the room where the longarm is and the finished tops hang in a closet.  Sometime ago, during a Zoom meet-up with others in the forum, I went through every single finished top, measured them, wrote the measurements on a slip of paper and pinned the paper to the top.  My intent was to make it easier for me to matching up batting pieces with appropriate sized tops.

To my delight, that particular plan worked quite well!   With the measurements of the fleece pieces, I matched them up with 4 finished tops.   All of the tops were pieced with being a charity quilt in mind, which is why they were so "small".  I won't be using any batting ... just the top and the fleece.  I've done this before and it has worked out well.

At least 2 of the fleece pieces are just a TAD too narrow to make for a comfortable fit, so I've sewn on wide strips of muslin to the short dimension.  This makes it wide enough to be able to be loaded on the longarm and allow me room for proper side tensioning.  The muslin strips will be cut off and re-used.   I've decided to use the same pantograph for all 4 quilts.  I don't do custom or labor-intensive quilting on charity quilts (unless I specifically want to try a design out).  For these quilts, I just want them DONE.

I've chosen an EASY panto, Chantilly Lace.  I betcha every longarm quilter has Chantilly Lace ... it "came" with my longarm as a bundle.

Chantilly Lace - Digital - Quilts Complete - Longarm Continuous Line  Quilting Patterns | Free motion quilting patterns, Longarm quilting  designs, Machine quilting patterns

I've loaded up the first quilt.  Since I haven't been on the longarm for a while, *especially* doing a panto, it's taken me quite a while to remember all the ins-and-outs of pantographs.  But, it's going nicely now.  I'll finish this one this evening, load up the next and just keeping going until all 4 are done.  I really don't think it will take very long ... unless I get called away.

But, the crate with the Featherweight + accessories has been emptied and put on the bottom shelf of the bookcase.  Everything fits!  woo hoo!   That makes TWO crates I've emptied .. the Featherweight and the one that held the fleece.   TWO large crates OUT of my sewing room!

Also under my sewing/cutting table was a large, plastic dish tub that I used for storage.  I knew it had some very old quilted placemats & cloth napkins that I hade made to coordinate with my new dining room back in the early 1980s.  I used those 12 placemats extensively and they sure looked like it.  I had used a floral fabric stripe as the wide binding ... so it was certainly a single layer.  Over the years ... MANY years ... that single layer binding took a big hit and was simply worn through in many places.  The binding on several of the placemats were fabric "flaps", as the part of the fabric that folded over the edge of the placemat had disintegrated.   

I know I had saved them with the idea of replacing the floral stripe .. but ... I didn't have any more of that fabric.  AND the placemats were VERY faded, used, stained, and in some of them, the fabric had holes.   Although I do have sentimental feelings for them, they simply are NOT salvageable.  With profuse thanks and gratitude for their many years of use, I will retire them.  I had also made 24 cloth napkins to coordinate with both sides of the placemats.  I *mitered* all the corners of the napkins!   That's 24 napkins with 4 corners each for a total of 96 mitered corners.  All nicely done, too!   I'm gonna save the napkins and recycle the fabric into hexies probably.

So, today was a very productive day .. and still continues, as I need to finish up the quilt that's loaded and do the next one.  :-)

judyinohio

Jul-31

Chantilly Lace is a very nice panto, probably soothing to work on.  Never saw it before. Congratulations on the rearranging work that was so productive.

I have been doing repair on 4 rooms this week. Three bathrooms and the kitchen. Today I got the two upstairs bathrooms painted!!! That is a big deal. The prep has been in progress since Wed and it only took 4 hours to do the painting. Now the bathrooms are ready for the new floor install on Monday and then we can hang the new hardware stuff and put the baseboards back on and paint the trim and those two rooms will be done.

I am hoping DH gets the kitchen and downstairs bathroom finished with the texturing so I can paint those Monday. Then I may paint the laundry room but not till the very end if I do at all. That makes all of the inside of the house painted.

DH also worked on sanding cabinet door today and got about 1/4 of those done. 

DH flew down on Thursday and worked from home on Friday and next Monday and Tuesday and then fly back on Tuesday night. I will stay here and keep making progress on stuff.

Sounds like you are on a roll with the charity quilts!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jul-31

And YOU are on a roll with the house stuff!  Kudos to you guys!  Prep ALWAYS takes longer that the painting.  But if you do a lousy prep job, the finish coat looks terrible.

Just keep thinking that it's one more checkbox for that room and finally the room will be done! Etc, etc.

latterberry

Aug-1

You certainly did have a productive day!  Congratulations on getting so much accomplished.  If you have sentimental feelings for your placemats, could you fold one in half, stitch the sides, and make a hot pad out of it.?  Or somehow put them together to make a cover for your Featherweight?

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-1

Lynne, those are excellent suggestions!  I'll look at the placemats with a different eye.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-1

and TA DA!   One charity quilt finished!

I don't remember off-hand when I pieced this top.  It's probably documented someplace but I'm too lazy right now to look it up.  Just assume it was pieced a Good Time Ago.  :-)   I used my scrap stash and didn't diminish it one little bit.   Each little block is a Drunkard's Path, more or less.

One of the pieces of fleece in the large crate was plain brown.  The size of the fleece and the size of the top were compatible so BINGO ... the brown fleece goes with that top.

I used the pantograph, Chantilly Lace.   On the photo of the backing, you can see so clearly what a beautiful design this makes.  It's not terribly visible on the front, but that's OK with me.  The finished size is 39"x43"

Looks great..............good progress on your stack of UFO's

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-1

That frame looks very useful.  What a great idea!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-1

A very productive day indeed!  Those kind of days always make me feel good.