Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Are You Working On Now?   General Discussion

Started 11/19/17 by MarciainMD; 505735 views.

that turned out wonderful.  I love the texture created by the strings.  very nice.

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

You are gonna run outts stuff to work on.

that is a good one.  It should be in the Laugh for the day thread.  he doesn't know many quilters does he - lol.

I think I am the only quilter he has ever known. He does ask a lot of questions and seems to like my quilts.

I took my 1st long arm class - it was pretty disappointing.  It was on ruler work, but she was very unorganized and didn't really seem to have a plan.  oh well, back to you tube videos and practicing.  I'm starting to worry about quilting my Christmas applique.  I want to do it, but I'm not sure if I can do much other than echo. unamused Wish you were closer.

another finished.  This was the 1st block I prepared and I did not line the flame though I did the cancel - I don't remember why.  And you could see the seams on the flame very well through the fabric.  Rather than remove it, I decided to applique another fabric over the top.  I'm not completely sure I'm happy with it but I'm going to leave it for now and see if it grows on me.  From a distance it looks fine but not particularly flame-like.

This leaves 3 blocks left to embellish plus the garland across the top that I haven't appliqued yet.  I think I need to start thinking about the sashing fabric.  In the original quilt it was a kind of olive green which worked well. but I don't think I have anything like it in my stash - greens can be so weird.  

in the spirit of getting the next forever project queued up, I purchased this pattern from Piece O Cake.   I thought this would be a good scrap project to be portable.  She actually pieces them using paper piecing on the machine, which I may or may not do.  But definitely plan to hand sew the hexagons together.  also thinking I might applique the center piece since it is small.  I want to try EPP the pieces in the hexagon and see how it goes.   those of you who have done EPP, does this look doable?  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-25

Yeah, I think about what to quilt with my applique tops also.  SITD - absolutely but for the background?  Ugh. .  Interesting ideas just aren't happening. 

Stipple/close meander is always the fall back option but I just really don't care for it.  Echoing is also a choice but,  again, it's not a look I particularly care for.  (The exception is my Hawaiian applique.  I will bow to tradition and echo quilt that one.)

So, what is left?  I know I'm going to be stewing over each one, as I don't  have any ready ideas. :-(

Some classes are better than others.  The good ones are *really* good, and some of the bad ones are *really* bad.  A few years ago, Sandy and I took a class in Grapevine on how to make the "Sew Together" bag.  I had heard there was a very good (and long) YouTube video tutorial, but I thought a class would be better.  So, I gave Sandy that class for her birthday, and took the class with her.  That teacher was not all that organized either.  She had taught the class many times, so I guess she was tired of doing it or something, but she wasn't very proactive, and sometimes was not all that helpful.  I was somewhat frustrated, and I know Sandy was too.  I bet we BOTH could have made it ourselves (with better techniques) if we had just watched the YouTube video and worked our own way through the instructions.  IIRC, people were saying that the instructions were a tiny bit confusing, but they were able to make the bag using the YouTube video.  I think maybe Carolyn (Nelson) is the one who told me that.  Or maybe Ellen?  But anyway, yeah, just like in "real life," some teachers are better than others.  

I'm pretty jaded about classes in general - I think it comes from all those years of doing continuing professional education for my CPA license and feeling half the time that I could teach the class better than the teacher, and in less time.  That wasn't the case here, she is a good quilter, but she kept answering her phone, then a lady came in wanting a quilt done and she stopped to helper her staff person answer the questions.  I kept feeling like "hey, this is our time, we paid for this".  There was only one other person in the class, so when we did have her attention, it was personal instruction.  But I didn't learn much.  There is another class in September on borders, background and fillers, but I'm thinking I'd do better watching videos and practicing on my own.  I did get to try a few rulers I hadn't used before, practiced clamshells, got some suggestions on how to improve my feathers.  ah well.

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-25

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I'm pretty jaded about classes in general

I've gotten that way about the Road To Ca classes...the last few years I have not found any class that excites me enough to pay for it. YouTube is better...you can stop when you want to, repeat parts and skip over stuff you already know. And go back for a refresher if you need to.

I did have fun learning all those techniques though over the years so I don't regret taking them...

(Karen McTavish was a bit of a disappointment...we had a shared long arm head, and she said if we put our names on our section, she would cut up the practice pieces and put them into a pile so we could come back to get them after the last class. Instead we found all of the quilt sandwiches in a heap in the corner and she had gone to dinner...had to hack out my part myself - luckily I had a pair of shears with me!)